Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I make a cumulative % line with below data?

Hi All,

I could use some help with this. I'm trying to come up with a chart as below. The x-axis will be the "Day-Bucket", The primary vertical axis will be Qty and the secondary vertical axis will be the cumulative % of the quantity for the month-year.

https://www.tulane.edu/~salem/Images/Cumulative-Histogram.gif

Sample data is as below, I wish to use the line and clustered column chart but I'm not sure on how to generate the column for the cumulative % line in DAX. The cumulative % line should adjust based on the filtered Month-Year. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Day BucketQtyMonth-year
0-275410-2018
>30110-2018
0-266711-2018
3-5111-2018
6-8411-2018
12-14511-2018
9-11111-2018
1 REPLY 1
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

There are quite a few aspects to the challenge.

First, you'll need to define an order on the buckets.  This will allow you to display the visual correctly AND calculate the cumulative % correctly.

One way to do this is to extract the distinct bins to a table.  You could construct the table manually (in excel) or experiment in Power Query but what you want is a 2 column table with

Bin   Index

0-2     1

3-5     2

and so on

You then create a relationship between the bins(buckets) on both tables.

Next, get a slicer for Month-year.

Then make sure that you can show Qty on a visual with buckets in the correct order.  Use 'Sort by Column' feature to sort buckets by the Index.

If you do this succesfully, write a measure to work out the cumulative quantity.  Use a table visualisation to test this.

From there, use the measure you've just written to construct a % change measure.

Then put it all together on the Line and Clustered column chart.

If i was you i'd change the test data to something which shows the changes more distinctly because 1,4,5 are very small compared to 667 so the chart will have a large initial value then flatline.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.