cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
reubster
Frequent Visitor

Re: How can i user sort by other column in live/direct query to SQL server table

Hi,

I'm sorry, I don't know. This kind of thing seems to change quite frequently.

R

DaliborPuljiz

Re: How can i user sort by other column in live/direct query to SQL server table

Confirmed - it still not working with October 2017 update, whereas custom sorting runs fine in cube preview (SSIS).

RyanP Helper II
Helper II

Wasn't working for me...   

Have a TEXT field with the Month names, and a numeric field for each month's number.

With the TEXT field as the X-Axis, I then select SortBy Column, selecting the numeric field; but I guess it's not sorting since the Axis is stuck on categorical

Added the numeric field to the Axis, then having both the text and numeric listed (text first). and voila, c'est bon

chackorobin
Frequent Visitor

Please note that this is for SSAS tabular model (assumes that you already created a model and connected online to PowerBI)

You have to do the sorting in SSAS tabular model using visual studio. For this, select the table and column to sort and click the button "Sort By Column".  This will give you the option to "Sort By" a particular column that need to sort.

Click OK and process the model and re-deploy it to see the results in Power BI

sort1.jpg

Choose Sort By column :

Sort2.jpg

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you do not have access to edit the cube in Visual Studio and you have another column that you would like to sort, you can add this extra field as tooltip to any chart. After doing so, you can select it from the sorting menu.

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks Launched March 24th!

New Ranks Launched March 24th!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power BI Community!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Missed the Arun 'Triple A' event or want to revisit it? We've got you covered! Check out the video, Q&A, and slides now.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors