Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Highlight starting point on map for distances

I have a dashboard that allows users to select a location and then you can select how many miles you want to see and a map will show all locations within that mileage (based on a table where I precalculated distances).  That table is

FromLocation  ToLocation    Miles

a                         b                  50

What I would like is if a user selects location a then on the map location a will be highlighted somehow.   Is this possible?

3 REPLIES 3
judspud
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @Anonymous 

Please see the link to the following post

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Map-with-Range-of-distance/td-p/567281

This details how your question can be implemented using ArcGIS maps 🙂

Hope this helps

Thanks,

George

Anonymous
Not applicable

@judspud 

So I got permission to use ArcGIS and started setting it up.  

The link you sent me looks great but isn't what I want to do.  I need mine to be dynamic.  So if a user selects a location it needs to automatically highlight that location on the map.  

In my map I show the From Location as a Distance = 0.  How can I get the ArcGIS to show this one as a bright red and then all others as another color?  It looks like I am stuck using their color schemes and if I drop it down to 2 categories most of their selections are pretty bleh....

The Symbol Style options and number of classifications is the closest to what i want.  The radius one would work if I could feed it dynamically the # of locations and the miles that they enter.  But I am already calculating distance away so I don't need ArcGIS to do that.

Any ideas on how I can modify this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I looked into Arcgis maps but when I started to see if I could set something up it gave me a warning that data would be shared to Arcgis.  I couldn't find any info as to what would be shared so I didn't go that route.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.