Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

H_insight
Helper V
Helper V

Hierarchy with items that reference each other

Hi all,

I am working on a hierarchy challenge and I wonder if this can be achieved in either DAX or PQ. My sample data is an extract of a test project hierarchy (see pic below). The data contains Parent / Child columns.

H_insight_0-1665827688516.png

My goal is to have a table/matrix/custom visual (whatever is easier) in PBI to reflect the above hierarchy in 7 levels like the below:

H_insight_1-1665827688065.png

Sample Data

All inputs are welcomed.

2 REPLIES 2
Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'm not sure how to interpret the hierarchy picture - what's the most atomic level there (if there is one? Risk&Issue seem to be available in each branch)? Is it 5 different nested hierarchies that are somehow related? What does it mean when Project is both at the top of the picture and and the bottom? Are this the same projects, or different ones?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Thank you for the kudos 🙂

Hi @Stachu 

Thanks for looking into my query. I appreciate the pic may not be helpful here without much context.

The sample data structure reflects the JIRA tool, where I would like to trace risks back to their parents (highest level, Type = Parent) and view all related (linked) types (i.e. issue, actions, project, ..etc). That's why you can see RISK & ISSUE in each branch and in some instances, issues related to each other.

When you look at the "Type" column in the sample file, you notice 7 different types, which derive the hierarchy. So let's say I want to deliver a new program called “Program A”. I would start by creating “Program A” (parent) -then-> Project (Project - New Implementation) -then-> Release (Project - New Implementation 1.0) -then-> this step could be any type like •Risk •Issue •Action •Decision. Now let's assume a new risk happens, I could LINK the new risk to another Risk or Issue or Action or Decision. Or link it to a decision that may generate new risks or issues. This is where you see Types related to each other.

So my goal is to view all RISK types related to the Parent via the below levels:

H_insight_0-1665841803874.png

As for your question about why Project is both at the top and the bottom, this is due to the relationship between child/parent columns. i.e. the below risks CUS-7824 & CUS-6554 are linked to project CUS-5444.

H_insight_1-1665842499731.png

Hope the above is easy to ingest! 🙂

Updated link to sample file.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.