Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Tiptip
Regular Visitor

Hierarchy : Display children before parents (eg : for profit and loss presentation)

Hi all,

I'm mainly working with financials data (PnL) and I'm searching for a new BI tool in order to replace our old one and more particularly this feature : 

Do you if Power BI can display SSAS Tabular ragged hiearchies in a table or pivot table with childrens before parents (and not after parents) like this : 

- Turnover

-  Expenses

= Net Result

In the example, "Net result" is the parent of "Turnover" and "Expenses".

Then our user should be able to navigate in the hierarchy (drill down)

Most of the time, generic BI tools are only able to display the hierarchy like this (which is not the right display of a PnL) : 

= Net Result

- Turnover

-  Expenses

Note : This is a simplified hiearchy, real one contain hundreds of members with several levels

thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Tiptip 

You may try Matrix visual and set Subtotals > Row subtotal position in the Format section of the Visualizations pane.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
gckcmc
Resolver I
Resolver I

I know you explicitly asked for a bottoms-up vs. tops down, but this is how I traditionally see a PnL statement:

https://zebrabi.com/power-bi-custom-visuals/beautiful-income-statements-power-bi/

(there are a lot of visuals that are like this, this one is just an example)

not sure if this helps...

Yes that's it, I'm searching for a BI / reporting tool that can manage natively "bottoms-up" display of a hierarchy.

My users are always digging / drilling in the PnL hierarchy until accounts numbers and not only on aggregates so having a tool that can handle that natively will save us a lot of time.

@Tiptip 

You may try Matrix visual and set Subtotals > Row subtotal position in the Format section of the Visualizations pane.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.