Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

samloud
Frequent Visitor

Hierarchical slicer - only allow user to select a single leaf?

Let me give you an example, and you'll get the question right away:

I have a geography dimension, that has a Country, State, City hierarchy. I want the user to only be able to select a single city. Yes, I can set the selection to 'Single select', but that allows the user to select California, which effectively selects all the cities in California. It even allows the user to select USA, which then selects all of the cities in the USA.

Is there a way to set the slicer up so that the user can only select a single *leaf* member?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for the reply from @Uzi2019 , please allow me to provide another insight: 

Hi  @samloud  ,

As far as I know, Power BI doesn't support the following features for the time being, when clicking on Hierarchy A, it will automatically select all the information in the next Hierarchy B. Otherwise, it won't know how to judge how to display a certain value in the next Hierarchy B. So if you want to display a certain value in Hierarchy B, you need to go to Hierarchy B to click on it.

You can try to create a separate table for each level without relationship connection, so that the user can only go to each level table corresponding to the slicer to select, and will not affect the other slicer, and then in the creation of the measure, use if()/switch() function to and the main table of each level to equal, and then in the main table to get the expected results.

You can also submit an idea for it at https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums and wait for users with the same needs as you to vote for you to help make it happen as soon as possible.

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
samloud
Frequent Visitor

Sure. Here I have selcted Belgium, which has selected all 4 leaf members. I want the user to only be able to select a single leaf member. I want to retain the hierarchy for navigation purposes, but it shoudl not be possible to select a country (and therefore its children), it shoudl only be possible to select an individual location

( I accept that this hierarchy only has 2 levels (Country --> Location), not 3 levels (Country--> State --> City) as in my initial description, but the underlying issue - only allow selection of a single leaf - is exactly the same)

samloud_0-1714737350590.png

Thanks for the reply from @Uzi2019 , please allow me to provide another insight: 

Hi  @samloud  ,

As far as I know, Power BI doesn't support the following features for the time being, when clicking on Hierarchy A, it will automatically select all the information in the next Hierarchy B. Otherwise, it won't know how to judge how to display a certain value in the next Hierarchy B. So if you want to display a certain value in Hierarchy B, you need to go to Hierarchy B to click on it.

You can try to create a separate table for each level without relationship connection, so that the user can only go to each level table corresponding to the slicer to select, and will not affect the other slicer, and then in the creation of the measure, use if()/switch() function to and the main table of each level to equal, and then in the main table to get the expected results.

You can also submit an idea for it at https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums and wait for users with the same needs as you to vote for you to help make it happen as soon as possible.

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Uzi2019
Super User
Super User

Hi @samloud 

can you elaborate with screenshot?? like how you want to display.

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.