Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

julientrib

Hide pages from a report share with different audience

Hi,

I would like to know if there is in Power BI any possibility to hide pages from a report opened from an app in Power BI.

What i would like to have is to use one base report but limit visibility for different audience to different pages part of the report.hide-show specific page under 1 report.PNG

18 REPLIES 18
Maurocalixto
Frequent Visitor

HI @julientrib 

We've had a similar use case in our business and ended up going with the workaround using RLS. There is a way to control report/dashboard access to an app using the audience feature, but you are right, it doesn't go till the report page level. 

Contrary to what has been said on one of the replies, you CAN and SHOULD always chase resource optimization, and sometimes it means having one report being distributed to different audiences - as PBI itself acknowledged by allowing for different audiences in their APP after years of request. 

It is possible, useful for many use cases, and necessary for resource optimization. I would believe and hope that it will be available sometime soon. And once it is out, lets leave for the Jurassic minds the maintenance of separate reports for each audience while we cheer evolution.

In the meantime, I left my vote and I would suggest you to do the same:
https://ideas.fabric.microsoft.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=2dd57d8f-9e1e-4eb0-8dd1-05a566e522cf 

Cheers,
MC

_Douglas
Regular Visitor

Hi @julientrib, there is a suggested workaround using Row Level Security to create Page Level Security but is not great. https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=2dd57d8f-9e1e-4eb0-8dd1-05a566e522cf 

krishb1414
Helper III
Helper III

Hi @julientrib 

we can ensure that by adding audience to specific user to specific report in APP.

Steps to follow :
  1) create app (if it is new) or Update app (If already exists)
  2) Add content to the app 

3) Create new audience group (at top of the app) for specific reports then enter user email like we provide access.

Then save.

I know this part the question was in one single report shared with different audience possibility to hide specific page of one of the report for certain audience:

So for report1: 

Audience 1 can access page 1 and 3 (but not 2)

Audience 2 can acess page 2 (but not 1 and 3)

Audience 3 can access page 3 (but not 1 and 2)

This would allow me to work on a single report but sharing different pages within this report with different audience (and not create different reports for each of my audience)

I have the same question, it will helpfull me. Currently, I need to create a new report connected to the same dataset and it will make double jobs.

I have the same question, it will helpfull me. Currently, I need to create a new report connected to the same dataset and it will make double jobs.

Hi, 

I think there is no feature available or related to Page Level Security. If you want to hide specific graphs then you can try with Object Level Security. I think this will not solve your query but this is an option we can do. 

And there is one option we can try with RLS and buttons

check this blog how to do this
Page-Level Security workaround in Power BI - RADACAD

julientrib

Do you think this page level security option will come up as new feature soon? I see that this was requested by several users for a while.

I hope not.  In my personal opinion Page Level Security is a fallacy, not a feature.

Hi @lbendlin ,

could you elaborate on that opinion? What risks do you see?

I didn't say risk, I said fallacy.  In Power BI access to data is handled differently from access to the UI.

Okay, no risks then, but why fallacy? What problem do you see with having something like Page Level Security?

It would be way easier to maintain an app where you can select on a page level who can view it, instead of maintaining separate report files. Wouldn't it?

maintain a report where you can select on a page level who can view it

And then you allow your users to use "Analyze in Excel"  (as you should) and they will see the entire data model (within the RLS/OLS limits)  regardless of which pages you have created or hidden.

I get that that would be the most correct way to do it. 

Still, there are as many use cases for Power BI as there are users. I still think that having something like Page Level Visibility (as I don't like Security in this case) could be an option with all the necessary warnings and or limitations. Not everyone needs (from the start, at least) to "Analyze in excel", for example. 

That was the reason why I was asking. 

If this is important to you please consider voting for an existing idea or raising a new one at https://ideas.fabric.microsoft.com/?forum=2d80fd4a-16cb-4189-896b-e0dac5e08b41

julientrib

Hi this is the part i would like to avoid to have to create 4 different reports for my separate audience.

Because in such case if we modify one thing in one of the visual (common to all reports) we need to update all of them one by one.

Regards, 

Separate audiences = separate reports. No way around that.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Yes, that is exactly what the Audience feature does when you publish apps. Create separate reports for your separate audiences.

There is no such thing as "page level security". 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.