Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

vbvbvb
Employee
Employee

Help with creating column which calulcates averrage values based on month + year value

Hello community, 

Trying to see if there's a n easy way to implement column with DAX calculating following:

There is a table with a item, 50-60 per month, I want to calculate average values for them per month per each item conditionally based on their Month and Year , so as result, column would be populated with Average values per respective dates, taking to consideration Month + Year of items:

IDValuesMonth YearAverage value ??
1234510October2022Sum of all values in October 2022 / count of October 2022 = 10 +5 /2 = 7.5
2345620November2022Sum of all values in Novemeber 2022/ count of November 2022 = 20/1 = 20
3456715September2022Sum of all values in September 2022/ count of September 2022
456785October2022Sum of all values in October 2022 / count of October 2022
56789010August2022Sum of all values in August 2022/ count of August 2022
67890120October2023Sum of all values in October 2023/ count of October 2023
78901210August2023Sum of all values in August 2023/ count of August 2023
8901235November2023Sum of all values in Novemeber 2023/ count of Novemeber 2023

I suppose this can be achives by combining COUNTROWS + AVERAGE + PARALELLPERIOD, but can't wrap my head around actualy DAX to make it work correctly -- would appreaciate your guidance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Please check the below picture and the attached pbix file.

Jihwan_Kim_0-1668525915830.png

AVG value CC =
VAR _newtable =
    FILTER (
        Data,
        Data[Year] = EARLIER ( Data[Year] )
            && Data[Month] = EARLIER ( Data[Month] )
    )
RETURN
    SUMX ( _newtable, Data[Values] ) / COUNTROWS ( _newtable )

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
vbvbvb
Employee
Employee

Thanks , what is expected format of  Data[Year]  and Data[Month] ? I get this error when using thse fields:

vbvbvb_0-1668526421221.png

Currently these values are calculcated as Year= YEAR(Data[Date]).

Hi,

The suggest DAX formula is for creating a new column.

Could you please share your sample pbix file's link here? And then I can try to look into your sample pbix file to come up with a more accurate solution.

Thank you.

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

As suspected, this was an issue with format of these two columns -- I did new extraction of year + month and your DAX worked, thanks!

If I want to add extra argument to FILTER to also only consider another column for this calculation,  for example if column = "Test" text value, can I add it directly to this formula?

Hi,

Thank you for your reply, and I think it will work. If not, please share your sample pbix file and then I can try to look into it.

Thanks.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

It did, i checked and seems that your solution was spot on , thansk once again!

Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Please check the below picture and the attached pbix file.

Jihwan_Kim_0-1668525915830.png

AVG value CC =
VAR _newtable =
    FILTER (
        Data,
        Data[Year] = EARLIER ( Data[Year] )
            && Data[Month] = EARLIER ( Data[Month] )
    )
RETURN
    SUMX ( _newtable, Data[Values] ) / COUNTROWS ( _newtable )

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.