Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with RANKX

Hello All

Been at this for hours and nothing working. I have 3 columns (VMName, Memory, Date). The Memory column shows how much memory has been used for each Virtual Machine by month. The "date" is a calculated column which has month and year.

I just want to show the top 5 Virtual Machines for each month "by usage," which is the Memory column. I tried 2 measures to sum the memory and then Rank by VM Name and not working, I get tons of rows with different values ranked the same (all 1 or all 2) and of course Top N not filtering anything correctly. I even tried Top N on the Memory field just to get the top 5 values and it gives a full list. Can anyone recommend a simple way of doing this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi, @Anonymous 

Please check the below picture and the sample pbix file's link

All measures are in the sample pbix file.

Picture2.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p8v3eb5sksem6cd/user.pbix?dl=0 

Hi, My name is Jihwan Kim.

If this post helps, then please consider accept it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Linkedin: linkedin.com/in/jihwankim1975/

Twitter: twitter.com/Jihwan_JHKIM

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Attached is a sample copy of my data. I simply need a rank of VM's which have the highest memory each month. The rank column shown here is what I need it to look like.

Data Rank.JPG

Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi, @Anonymous 

Please check the below picture and the sample pbix file's link

All measures are in the sample pbix file.

Picture2.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p8v3eb5sksem6cd/user.pbix?dl=0 

If this post helps, then please consider accept it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Jihwan-----my date field reads Nov 2020, Dec 2020, Jan 2021 (etc). My months go all the way back to Jan 2020. How would I use your formula to rank all within my date format for month and year. Top 5 for all rows that say Nov 2020, Top 5 for all rows that say Dec 2020.......and so on? I appreciate your help.

Hi, @Anonymous 

Thank you for your feedback.

I think you can just put the Month & Year Column from your date table.

Or, please share your sample pbix file's link here, then I can try to look into it to come up with a more accurate measure.

Thanks.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks----a picture of the sample data is here. Can you give me an example of the dax?

I simply need a rank of VM's which have the highest memory each month (using VM Name and Memory colummns). The rank column shown here is what I need it to look like.

Data Rank.JPG

Hi, @Anonymous 

Sorry that I quite do not understand your question.

I think my sample is already giving what you are looking for.

I think I am missing something.

That is why I asked to provide the sample pbix file's link here, not a screenshot.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry Jihwan, I got it to work. Thanks for your help!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous You can create a rank like

rankx(allselected(Table[VMName]), calculate(sum(Table[Memeory])))

in the visual if you take any column/ungrouped field, the rank will happen inside that/those column/columns

You can have month also included (have month year column in table)

rankx(filter(allselected(Table[VMName],Table[month year]),[month year] =max([month year])) , calculate(sum(Table[Memeory])))

For Rank Refer these links
https://radacad.com/how-to-use-rankx-in-dax-part-2-of-3-calculated-measures
https://radacad.com/how-to-use-rankx-in-dax-part-1-of-3-calculated-columns

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks----I tried your sugggestion for calculated column, but the rankings just return as "1" for every row (all months and years). I used my column titled "DATE" which contains month and year in this format: Jan 2021.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.