Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

DemoFour
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Help with DAX IF statement error

Hi peep's I need some help to see what I have done wrong, I am new to this and I'm still learning DAX.

I am adding a measure to my table to give me an age category for KPI's.

Age Category = if('PBO test 1 - Client Details'[Age]=blank(),blank(),if('PBO test 1 - Client Details'[Age]<18,"16-17",if('PBO test 1 - Client Details'[Age]<20,"18-19",if('PBO test 1 - Client Details'[Age]<22,"20-21",if('PBO test 1 - Client Details'[Age]<24,"22-23",if(‘PBO Client Details’[Age]<25 ”24”,”>25”)))))

Whilst we record the individual ages, the KPI asks for a count of 16-17, 18-19, 20-21, 22-23, 24 and 25.

So the column [Age] is just a list of numbers = for each clients age.

This is what I get

DAX Error.PNG

Any help to point me in the right direction gratefully received.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @DemoFour,

With your measure, you could not just use the column ['PBO test 1 - Client Details'[Age]], you could try to convert the 'PBO test 1 - Client Details'[Age] to CALCULATE(SUM('PBO test 1 - Client Details'[Age])) in your formula.

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @DemoFour,

With your measure, you could not just use the column ['PBO test 1 - Client Details'[Age]], you could try to convert the 'PBO test 1 - Client Details'[Age] to CALCULATE(SUM('PBO test 1 - Client Details'[Age])) in your formula.

Regards,

Daniel He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-danhe-msft

Thank's for your reply.

I got the following to work

DAX Error 1.PNG

But whilst the suggestion you made worked, I could not traslate it into visual. I think I need to do some more work on understanding CALCULATE and SUM to understand them better within BI.

DAX Error 2.PNG

kind regards

Hi @DemoFour ,

It is pleasant that your first issue could be solved, could you please mark my reply as answered if possible?

And with your second issue, I suggest to you to re-create a topic in the community and you could also refer to below link about CALCULATE:

https://www.absentdata.com/power-bi/how-to-use-calculate-in-power-bi/

https://databear.com/power-bi-tips-calculate-one-of-the-most-used-dax-functions/

Regards,

Daniel He

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.