Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

kevmueller74
Regular Visitor

Grouping Matrix by Measures then Time Period

In the basic matrix in Power BI I can't find a way to group the columns by the measures and then the time period. What you get by default is the time period and then all the measures and then the next time period. We have customers that want to see 5 measures and be able to see each one side by side for the current and prior year. The only way around this I have found is to build each measure as its own visual and then stack them on the visual to make it look correct, but as you slice the data the formating will get off. Anyone know of a solution for this? Below is the ugly formating way of doing what I am trying to do. 

Screenshot 2024-04-30 075405.jpg

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
audreygerred
Super User
Super User

Hello! You can achieve this by using calculation groups. 

In the below screenshot, I have the calculation group in first in column, then my year:

audreygerred_1-1714489687022.png

Here is a blog I wrote about calculation groups: http://powerbiwithme.com/2023/08/10/the-calculation-group-edition/ When I wrote it, you still needed Tabular Editor 2, but now you can create them directly in Power BI Desktop (just make sure the preview feature is enabled).

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
audreygerred
Super User
Super User

Hello! You can achieve this by using calculation groups. 

In the below screenshot, I have the calculation group in first in column, then my year:

audreygerred_1-1714489687022.png

Here is a blog I wrote about calculation groups: http://powerbiwithme.com/2023/08/10/the-calculation-group-edition/ When I wrote it, you still needed Tabular Editor 2, but now you can create them directly in Power BI Desktop (just make sure the preview feature is enabled).

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.