Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Hamel
Regular Visitor

Grouped By Function - Sum is doubling the number data in cell

Hi,

I am using the group by function to merge duplicates and sum another column of data. This is effectively Room Number (duplicates) and Room Areas (Sum). 

When using the group by function, most parts of my data are being merged and sumed correctly, but I am also getting areas where there is not a duplicate Room Number, but the Group By function is doubling the Area column for this data and I am unsure why this is happening.

Example below and highlighted cell is example of issue I am having.

Before Grouped By is applied:

Hamel_1-1641903636938.png

Grouped by settings:

Hamel_2-1641903679209.png

After Grouped by is applied:

Hamel_0-1641903513958.png

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Hamel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Hamel
Regular Visitor

@amitchandak Thanks you for your help, i was scratching my head all morning and I have just realised that I had appended a dataset, renamed it then added the same data again to the one I initially started with! 

Thanks you for your prompt response! Dumb mistake on my part.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Hamel , 

I think you need to review group by method. Here's a link to help you: https://www.powerbitraining.com.au/using-group-by-in-power-bi-for-data-transformation/

Hamel
Regular Visitor

@amitchandak Thanks you for your help, i was scratching my head all morning and I have just realised that I had appended a dataset, renamed it then added the same data again to the one I initially started with! 

Thanks you for your prompt response! Dumb mistake on my part.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Hamel , power query show only sample rows. There should be some data, that is why is added up. check at source

If this does not help
Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.