Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

DonnaDonut85
Frequent Visitor

Group By showing expression error

Hi guys,

Hoping you can help. We have a Power BI report which was created by someone who has now left the company so i am trying my very best to fix an issue but i am a total beginner and unfortunatly we dont have anyone else with Power BI expertise.

The reports have been set up about 10 months ago and were working fine until last month when they stopped refreshing due to this error 'We cannot convert the value null to type Logical' 

I have downloaded the report and opened in Power BI desktop (it will not referesh - same error) I have then opened Power Query and i can see a lot of errors but i think i have whittled them all down to once particular change that was made. There is an attempt to group 2 columns, the user title column and the week of year column. I can see it doesnt like, i checked to see if there were any null values in these columns and there were not, but this still doesnt load. I then changed the valus to replace null with "Unspecified" in case i hadnt loaded all the data, but still no joy. 

Can anyone shed some light? I'm confused on why this report would ever work if this error was always there - or is it maybe the data? Even though i have replaced values and made sure there were no blanks? The formula is = Table.Group(#"Filtered Rows", {"User.Title", "Week of Year"}, {{"Sum", each List.Sum([Hours]), type nullable number}}) 

I would appreciate any guidance on this - thank you! 

image.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks @amitchandak but they all reference the "Sum" column and or the "Timesheets -WeeklyBasic" table so it looks like once the error is fixed in "Timesheets - WeeklyBasic" then the rest will be ok. 

image.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@DonnaDonut85 , this seems fine. But there are too many error tables there. can check all and remove their errors too.

Thanks @amitchandak but they all reference the "Sum" column and or the "Timesheets -WeeklyBasic" table so it looks like once the error is fixed in "Timesheets - WeeklyBasic" then the rest will be ok. 

image.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.