Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JoeCrozier
Helper II
Helper II

Graph of total count of category over time

I have a dashboard like this:

JoeCrozier_0-1666972554221.png

As you can see, you can use a slicer to affect dates, and when you filter the data to a date range, a Pie Chart will show percent of the total rows that have a certain category of sponsor type.

What I'd like to create is a graph kinda like this:

8oCrX.png

That shows those categories over time.  I've played around with creating a line graph and quick measure:

JoeCrozier_4-1666972866129.png

But when I pick any of the time intelligence quick measures and select the date to use it says "Only Power BI provided date heirarchies or primary date columns are supported" , even though the date column I pick is recognized as a "date". 

Any ideas how I could accomplish this? Ideally the timeline would go for several years and be grouped by months, and show at any given month how many of each type of sponsor there were.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoeCrozier
Helper II
Helper II

I figured it out.  The date column was somewhat incomplete and couldn't be a traditional heirarchy because it was missing dates.  I ended up extracting month and year into a new column and playing with it that way.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
JoeCrozier
Helper II
Helper II

I figured it out.  The date column was somewhat incomplete and couldn't be a traditional heirarchy because it was missing dates.  I ended up extracting month and year into a new column and playing with it that way.

Bifinity_75
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @JoeCrozier possibly it is a "bug" in the relationship of the dates.
Do you have any relationship with this date?. Someting like this:

Bifinity_75_0-1667053472571.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.