Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Debround
Frequent Visitor

Grab data from Teams channel's posts

Hello,

I'm part of a MS Teams group, where there are several posts about business' news in a channel. Most of these posts are some information text about the news, following a link to the corresponding website.

Is it there any way to connect to the Teams channel with Power Bi?

I'm only interested to extract:

• Person who posted the news.
  • Date & Time of the post.
  • Text of the post.

Thank you in advance for your help.

3 REPLIES 3
VincentLai
Frequent Visitor

@Debround , did you get the answer on how to get & use the MS Teams Connector? 

Meanwhile i noticed there is Microsoft Teams Personal Analytics connection in my power bi desktop, unfortunately this only provides the stats of teams usage but not the actual message/tex in teams .

MAwwad
Super User
Super User

Yes, it is possible to connect Power BI to a Microsoft Teams channel and extract data such as the person who posted the news, the date and time of the post, and the text of the post.

To do this, you can use the Power BI content pack for Microsoft Teams. This content pack allows you to connect to a specific Teams channel and retrieve data such as messages, members, and activity.

Here is an overview of the process:

1. In Power BI, go to the "Home" tab and select "Get Data" and then choose "Microsoft Teams".
  2. Enter your Microsoft Teams credentials.
  3. Select the channel from which you want to extract data.
  4. Use the "Transform data" button to customize the data, creating different queries and joining them with other data sources if needed
  5. Use that data to create a report or a dashboard.

Once you have the data, you can use it to create various visualizations that show the information you're interested in, such as a chart showing the number of messages posted by each person, or a table showing the text of recent posts.

Thank you for your prompt response.

I'm struggling finding the Power BI content pack for Microsoft Teams. I've been looking at different help pages and none of them helped getting it. Could you also assist with this? 

I'm using PowerBi Desktop Version: 2.112.603.0 64-bit (December 2022) (MS Store). Thank you again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.