Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SoulCuber
Frequent Visitor

Give external users access to my reports

Hi folks,

I published a report and dashboard online based on an Azure database. I granted other users access to the online dashboard, both users inside my organisation as well as outside. Now it appears that all users have access to the dashboard, while the report is restricted to internal users only.

So far, on the Power BI desktop, I changed the privacy level in data source settings -> Permissions from "Organizational" to "Public", but that did not solve my problem. I hope that anyone here could help me out. Many thanks!!!!

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SoulCuber,

When we share the dashboard with user outside of the organization, the user can access the report by clicking on the dashboard tile.

What do you mean "Now it appears that all users have access to the dashboard, while the report is restricted to internal users only."? Is there any error throws out? If you mean external user can't see report page section, you can see this thread: Sections pane not visible for external users.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Dear Qiuyun Yu,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry for my poor explanation...

The problem is as follows. I made a report + dashboard. I shared the dashboard with a user inside my organization and a user outside my organisation. Both can see the dashboard. However, the related report is only visible to the user inside my organisation, not to the user outside my organisation. I would like to share the report with both users....

Hi @SoulCuber,

Please follow below steps to troubleshoot the issue.

1. Check if you have set custom link for the dashboard tile, which are only available to internal users. By default, when we click the tile, it will navigate to the report which contains this visual. If we have set custom link for the tile, it will direct to the page that link points to.

2. Check if the issue related to the dashboard or report. You can pin a tile from another report to a new dashboard. Then share this dashboard with external user, let this user click the tile in the dashboard to see if he can go to the report.

3. Check if the issue related to that specific external. You can share the same dashboard with another external user, if report can open when click on the dashboard tile.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.