Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MBWATSON
Helper I
Helper I

Getting Error Message Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'OLE DB or ODBC

Hi there,

Using Power Query to transform data in Power BI and I get this message:

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'OLE DB or ODBC error: [Expression.Error] We cannot convert the value null to type Text..
An unexpected exception occurred.
I have checked all columns for errors/nulls and see this in every column

MBWATSON_0-1712859698207.png

I have gone through each column and removed replaced null values with blank and continue to get the error message when I close and apply.

I have built out this type of report every week and this is the first time it has happened. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-kongfanf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MBWATSON ,

The reason for this type is that power query, when trying to apply changed type, tries to get the value supplied in the cell and converts it to the specified type based on the format defined for that data type in the local user's windows regional settings. If it fails to do so, you will receive an Unable to convert error.

vkongfanfmsft_0-1712888656164.png

Best Regards,
Adamk Kong

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-kongfanf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MBWATSON ,

The reason for this type is that power query, when trying to apply changed type, tries to get the value supplied in the cell and converts it to the specified type based on the format defined for that data type in the local user's windows regional settings. If it fails to do so, you will receive an Unable to convert error.

vkongfanfmsft_0-1712888656164.png

Best Regards,
Adamk Kong

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

MBWATSON
Helper I
Helper I

Found the error right after I posted 😁

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.