Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

kattlees
Post Patron
Post Patron

Get number of pay periods

We want to get projected income for our employees for a report. What I'm struggling with is getting number of pay periods so far.

We have 26 pay periods per year (every 2 weeks).

We have some instances where employees get 2 checks on a given date due to a bonus or an employee gets a check on a date that isn't a pay date. We only want to count the number of planned pay periods so if someone gets a check on a date that isn't a scheduled pay period, we don't want that to count.  If someone gets 2 checks on same date it would only count that date once.

I hope I'm making sense....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Can you attach this so that I can download? or I will send you PM and you can email me. Thanks!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
parry2k
Super User
Super User

Can you share sample data? 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Example would be:

As of today we have had 21 pay periods and have 5 left.

Kathy has worked since the beginning of the year and has earned $10,000. We have had 21 pay periods since Jan. 1 so her projected income would be 10000/21*26 or 12380.95

Sue has worked since Aug. 15 and has earned $10,000. She has only received checks on 5 pay periods so her projected income would be 10000/5*10 or $20,000

Billie has worked since the beginning of the year and has earned $20,000. On May 4, a vacation day was missed so she received an extra check on May 10th.

Her projected income would be 20000/21*26 or 24761.9  (we don't count the may 10th into the number of pay dates)

Great explanation, can you share how your data table look like? Is there only one table or there are multiple table. That will help get this going. May be just put all this example data in excel sheet with the columns you have in table and send it to me and I will get you back with a report 🙂

Sure - does this work?

Columns are schedule pay dates except for May 10 which was the extra check.  I'm not sure how to attach an excel sheet.Sampledata.jpg

Can you attach this so that I can download? or I will send you PM and you can email me. Thanks!

wondering if you can answer another question for me on pay dates.

If I have an employee who is active, I want to show their projected income, if they are inactive, I need it to show their current year to date income (not project for future pay dates)

Every time I try to do an if statement
If(Is_Active=1,ProjectedIncome,CurrentySalary)

currenty salary is measure of sum(earned amount)

Projected income is a measure of (([Current year salary]-[Bonus])/[PayDatesDone])*[TotalPayDates]+[Bonus]

When I do this, I get some that say NaN, some say infinity and some are just outrageous high numbers.

Any ideas?

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.