Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mornagli
Helper III
Helper III

Get data from an HTTP request

I have an data source that cant connect properly to MPBI, My idea is to :

- Send from advenced editor an HTTP request to some php script that will return to the MPBI the data that i fetch from the data source.

- Is it possible? 

- In this way how can i refresh in Desktop & in Service ?

- In MPBI service when i try to refresh some report, It need an credentials : 'user name' & 'password', Can i use this if i will fetch the data seppertly in my script and the only thing that MPBI will do is to send an HTTP request that will return the data?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Mornagli ,

Just remove the following option from the data source of the web page in the power query, then when it is refreshed, only the data source from the excel section will be refreshed.

vhenrykmstf_6-1636598061996.pngvhenrykmstf_3-1636596509851.png

vhenrykmstf_5-1636597911466.png

vhenrykmstf_7-1636598096812.png

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mornagli ,

For your description, I think you can achieve the same effect by getting data from web page. I did a test with the following reference:

vhenrykmstf_0-1636510110709.pngvhenrykmstf_1-1636510158764.png

Select the data you want to obtain

vhenrykmstf_2-1636510263541.png

vhenrykmstf_3-1636510425499.png

Click to refresh and get the latest data of the web page.

vhenrykmstf_4-1636510478109.png

This way can directly access the data of the public web page, but some web pages require certain permissions to access, and the corresponding credentials are required when connecting to web, otherwise it can not be accessed, which is in security considerations. The same is true for pbi service.

vhenrykmstf_5-1636510755910.png

For more details, you can read related document.

How To Get Data From Power BI Dataset Via An API: EPCGroup

Tutorial: Import and analyze data from a webpage - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-henryk-mstf 
Thank you!

This is the way i think i will do it, but my data that come form my source is overload the old data, for example if before refresh i have 5 rows, after refresh, if new data enter to the source -> i will fetch 6 rows: the old 5 and one more new row.
What i think to do is to make an 'base' table that i will insert manually and one more table from the HTTP request, and to merge them to new big table.

the problems are:

- The base table, how can i insert manually table without any source? I tried to import the base table from excel, but it will make issues on MPBI service in the refresh...

There is a way to load to MPBI table and then 'disconnect' it from the source without lose the data ?

Hi @Mornagli ,

Just remove the following option from the data source of the web page in the power query, then when it is refreshed, only the data source from the excel section will be refreshed.

vhenrykmstf_6-1636598061996.pngvhenrykmstf_3-1636596509851.png

vhenrykmstf_5-1636597911466.png

vhenrykmstf_7-1636598096812.png

Best Regards,
Henry

HI @v-henryk-mstf ,

Did this option works in the MPBI service? or in the service all will be refreshed?

And one more quastion, my source is in server, but after i publish the report to the service and my computer is off, i cant refresh in the service...
What can i do, did i need an data gateway? 

Hi @Mornagli ,

You can configure scheduled refreshes to refresh the data source. Whether to use a gateway depends on the location of the data source, if it is from the cloud then no gateway is needed, if it is a local data source then a gateway is needed.

For more details, you can read related document.

Data refresh in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

On-premises data gateway architecture | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,
Henry

Thank you! @v-henryk-mstf 

I send an HTTP request to some server and get data, Is this a way that require data gateway? 

If so, can i install the data gateway on local computer that not turn on all the time or i need to install it on machine that is online and on all the time?

Hi @Mornagli ,

Whether a gateway is required depends on the location of the data source. If it is a cloud server then no gateway is required, but local server requires.

The standard gateway can be downloaded from here.

Install an on-premises data gateway | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,
Henry

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.