Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Get data - Source contraints and SQL / ODBC connectors.

Hello team,

In building a report I have several contraints and I would like to have your input on it.

The data source are a MySQL server running since 2010 with 6 tables containing millions of records, no restrictions here.

A SQLServer, a quite new SaaS with overall little amount of data for now, with a 10000 row exportation limitation, my aim is to use 7 or 8 tables from this database.

My aim is create a report getting data from these databases through SQL(MySQL) and ODBC(SQLServer) connectors, and either hit refresh data on-demmand or schedule a gateway in order to automatize this during the nights.

The issues I am facing are that:

- Powerbi is only storing/replacing 10000 rows of data from the last SQLServer connection, it is not keeping the previous records or incrementing the records. This is currently a show stopper.

- Whenever I want to gather the last results from the SQL server the whole table is downloaded (millions of rows). This is not a show stopper but an incovenience.

Thank you very much,

4 REPLIES 4

Hello,

In case you're still struggling exporting data from Servicenow, you might want to try out our Servicenow app: Power BI Connector:

We have a handy User and Admin Guides for your convenience, but feel free to reach out support team at support@alpha-serve.com if you need any assistance.

Thank you.

Regards,

Anton

===

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I don't believe that incremental refresh exists quite yet. 

Why does your SQL server have a 10000 row export limit?

Completely besides the point, but why ODBC to the SQL Server?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Greg_Deckler!

Thanks for raising this incremental point, I am used to Splunk and took this feature for granted.

The SQL Server is running below a ServiceNow (ITSM tool) production instance, it is a mission critical tool, that's the reason to both OBDC and the limitation, to prevent performance issues.

I hope it helps.

Thank you,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Recent update from Microsoft show some efforts and development towards incremental storage:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/7288623-incremental-data-loads

I don't know what a premium license is, currently I am holding just "Pro", so it looks we do not have an easy solutions here for the time being.

What I have been considering is having a DB replica without the 10000 rows limitation that connects to the limited source on daily basis and syncs the 10000 most recent records, then connect PowerBi to this replica. It is a somewhat suboptimal workaround as it requires a new server implementation, connection configuration, etc.

Best,

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.