Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

n5722
Helper I
Helper I

Generating timestamp for each hour problem

Context:

I have a table with timeshifts of people working with an hourly gross rate associated with it. In it's original form, the timeshift entries only contain daily timestamps indicating:

• On what day did the shift take place
  • Employee name
  • Timeshift started
  • Timeshift ended
  • Hourly gross rate

What I want to achieve is a graph that shows labour costs per hour within a 24h day. Something like this:

n5722_0-1647610475978.png

Since I don't have a row per hour in my data set, I followed THIS tutorial to create an "hourly timestamp" to be able to visualise that graph.

Everything looked fine because I got this result:

n5722_1-1647610735670.png

As you can see, this employee has an hourly gross rate of 30,26 which in Power Query always shows 30,26 (which is correct).

Now, when I add this to a graph/table, that hourly gross rate starts to go crazy. Instead of getting 30,26 per Hourly Timestamp of a shift date, that number grows the further we go down. So on Mar 10, the hourly gross rate is okay, but the day after it doubles for every single row.

n5722_0-1647611415935.png

I have my Shift date connected to my main date table. I also tried disconnecting it to see if that's the problem, but it isn't. I am really puzzled why does Power Query show one set of numbers and on the dashboard I get something else. I know that I "artificially" generated those timestamps so is that perhaps the problem?

Could someone let me know what the issue is or how to do this without generating those artificial Hourly timestamps? Many thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
n5722
Helper I
Helper I

Found the issue. Once I added the source file name (since these are multiple CSVs appended from blob storage) I was able to identify that the issue was in the CSV exports.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
n5722
Helper I
Helper I

Found the issue. Once I added the source file name (since these are multiple CSVs appended from blob storage) I was able to identify that the issue was in the CSV exports.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.