Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jonathan_P
Helper II
Helper II

Funnel and subset of data

Hello,

I have a fact table with a Status dimension. The status (here, called "Nom" in french for "Name") is the "stage" where a credit application is. So a credit application that is at status Id 4 passed through all the other statuses and must be counted on each total. In other words, each set is a subset of the other above (except the first).

I want to use a funnel visualization showing that.

What is the best way to achieve that?

I am thinking about adding a measure to do a running total of the total column shown here.

Thank you

Power BI.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

As an update on this thread, I found a solution for my problem. Finally, I use DAX expressions and measures (and nothing about it at queries level).

Here are my 2 measures:

Count = 
	IF (
		ISBLANK ( COUNTROWS ( FactCreditApplications ) );
		0;
		COUNTROWS ( FactCreditApplications )
	)
Total = 
	CALCULATE ( [Count]; FILTER ( ALL ( DimStatus ); DimStatus[StatusId] >= MAX ( DimStatus[StatusId] ) ) )  

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Bokazoit
Post Patron
Post Patron

My thought exactly. Running Total 🙂

@Bokazoit,

I tried to do a running total instead of doing it using queries as I explained above but I am struggling.

The problem is when there is no data for the dimension.

For 'Véhicule soumis', there is no data (i.e. Total = 0). In this case, the 'Running Total' returned is the grand total of 35 instead of 14.

The measures are:

Total = IF(ISBLANK(COUNTROWS(FactCreditApplications)); 0; COUNTROWS(FactCreditApplications))
Running Total = CALCULATE([Total]; FILTER(ALLSELECTED(FactCreditApplications); [StatusId] >= MAX([StatusId])))

What I am doing wrong?

Thank you

Power BI.png

As an update on this thread, I found a solution for my problem. Finally, I use DAX expressions and measures (and nothing about it at queries level).

Here are my 2 measures:

Count = 
	IF (
		ISBLANK ( COUNTROWS ( FactCreditApplications ) );
		0;
		COUNTROWS ( FactCreditApplications )
	)
Total = 
	CALCULATE ( [Count]; FILTER ( ALL ( DimStatus ); DimStatus[StatusId] >= MAX ( DimStatus[StatusId] ) ) )  

I solved it using the queries.

My fact table now contains every records needed by the Funnel visualization to get the desired result. I use now the Group bucket (before I had a measure for each stage and wasn't using the Group) and I dropped the stage name from the new stage dimension in it. So the same credit application may appear multiple times but related to a different stage. This is a different fact.

To achieve that:

-I have a base query with all transformations (called 'FactCreditApplications_Base') containing a column returning what I call at that level the status id.

-I have a few queries, one per stage (by example, 'FactCreditApplications_Approved') that make use of the Reference feature. They are based on the query above. Each one filter on the status column where the id must be greater than or equals to the according status id. Each queries adds also a custom column returning the appropriate stage id.

-All the queries above aren't loaded (i.e. 'Enabled Load' unchecked).

-Another query that basically just append all the others (called simply 'FactCreditApplications') using the Append Queries feature. It uses the Power Query command Table.Combine.

-I have a dimension table called DimStages.

I think this is the good design for that kind of need and the key is the use of the Reference and the Append Queries features.

Your thoughts?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.