Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bjstigall
Frequent Visitor

Formula.Firewall: Query references other queries or steps, so it may not directly access a data ...

I have 2 queries importing into PowerBI.  The come from two different SQL Servers.  Both SQL Servers have the privacy level set to Organizational.  When I merge the queries together, i get the dreaded Formula.Firewall.  I can't set to ignore becasue the reports will be published to the PowerBI service where the two servers are also set to Organizational.   How can I get around this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @bjstigall,

It works well in my test. Can you share more details? Please check the privacy again as the snapshot shows.

Formula-Firewall

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @bjstigall,

Could you please mark the proper answers as solutions?

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @bjstigall,

It works well in my test. Can you share more details? Please check the privacy again as the snapshot shows.

Formula-Firewall

Best Regards,
Dale

Hi @v-jiascu-msft ,

may I please ask you a question.

I have the same issue but I do only query data from this one single SharePoint source. 

I do have several merging and expanding steps in my queries which is why tried this to get around the issue. So my orignial query changed to this. As you can see there are about 7 merging steps within DIM BWA which should result in the article's partitions. The path of the query is highlighted and the error occurs always within this path. I also implemented a staging area and I tried the idea in Ken's post by using custom functions. Ignoring privacy levels does not help either. My problem is also the irregularity of given error. It appears just occasionally and for different query steps in the DIM BWA path. So sometimes I do not get the error at all. I have no idea what I am missing. If you need further details let me know. 

Looking foreward to your reply

KS

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.