Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RicardoV3

Format a number as a fixed decimal, for best precision on money values, but not showing money symbol

Hello,

I want to format my values as fixed decimal, but i'm under the impression that it automatically adds the dollar symbol $.

I intend to do so because i think, from my past studies, that Marco Russo recommended when we want precision to use the fixed decimal / money in SSAS Tabular. So now i was trying to use fixed decimal but, as mentioned, it seems that it automatically adds the dollar symbol $ in Power BI.

So, to resume, what is the best format for precision, without seeing any symbol visible?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @RicardoV2 ,

You're right.

(1)For PBI Desktop, you need to change the data type and data format in the format pane.

vtangjiemsft_2-1702283330795.png

(2)For measures, you cannot select the data type, only the following information can be selected. In addition, you can also use the FORMAT function to customize the measure format.

Refer:

FORMAT function (DAX) - DAX | Microsoft Learn

Introducing dynamic format strings for DAX measures - SQLBI

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RicardoV3 ,

According to your description, here are my steps you can follow as a solution.

(1)Click "transform data" to enter the power query and change the data type->click "close and apply".

vtangjiemsft_0-1701756352183.png

(2)Set format to General so you won't see the currency symbols.

vtangjiemsft_1-1701756966956.png

(3)The default is to keep two decimal places, you can adjust the number of decimal places on [format your visual].

vtangjiemsft_2-1701757251050.png

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Hello, this seems to be the way, let me just ask you 2 questions:
1) this format applied in Power Query or in Power BI gets saved in Power Query. I ask more in the case of Power BI , seems to be like beautifying data over Power Query...
2) What you suggested works for columns coming from PQ or calculated columns. Probably for measures we just need to place them as general or decimal

Thanks!

Hi @RicardoV2 ,

You're right.

(1)For PBI Desktop, you need to change the data type and data format in the format pane.

vtangjiemsft_2-1702283330795.png

(2)For measures, you cannot select the data type, only the following information can be selected. In addition, you can also use the FORMAT function to customize the measure format.

Refer:

FORMAT function (DAX) - DAX | Microsoft Learn

Introducing dynamic format strings for DAX measures - SQLBI

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

RicardoV2
Frequent Visitor

Hello Rita, probably I'll do that because i don't have time to dig more, but i think that I've read that decimal is not so precise as money (fixed decimal) in the DAX Manual of SQL BI.

I've been working in this way since 2017 and haven't encountered any problems. Now, the decision is yours..:)

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Ritaf1983
Super User
Super User

Hi @RicardoV3 
Why not use a decimal format with the number of digits that you need?

Ritaf1983_0-1701661597559.png

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.