Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nlui
Regular Visitor

Force-directed nodes

Hello everyone, is there was way to add additional layers in the force-directed nodes visual? For example I'm try to show relationships between various fruits; apples, oranges, melons. Apples have different varieties and colors, same as oranges and melons. My current node will only show a central fruit node to apples, oranges, and melons but won't let me get to the varieties under each. Is there another visualization I could be using instead?

6 REPLIES 6
pxg08680
Resolver III
Resolver III

@nlui

Below table shows the raw data and right side is Force-directed graph.

a1.PNG 

So the graph shows me all three layers. Is this what you have asked for..?

This a visualization I'm trying to create in PowerBI, right now its in PowerPoint. The data starts off at a high level then continues to get more granular, in this example "Fruit" is the highest level, then it goes further into "Type" (Apples, Melons, Pears) -> "Color" (Green, Red, Brown, Orange, Multi) -> "Varieties" (Anjou, Granny Smith, Bosc). As the data drills down, these are the different "nodes" that I'd like to show.

From there I also want to show the links between each node, in this case by the dark orange bi-directional arrows. Apples and pears are connected by the colors red and green, also apples and melons are connected by the color green. 

image.png

@nlui

I tried to play around but couldn't find something which can be shown as your PPT diagram.

Does your data has all text type or any numeric fields..?

a1.PNG

Hope someone helps you in this.

Thanks for taking a shot at it, my actual data is all text. Maybe the force-directed node visualization isn't the right one? I've searched the library but none of the visuals I looked at had additional layers.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @nlui,

I'm not so clear for your requirement, can you please share some detail contents?

If you only want to shows single item, you can try to use category column and detail information column to create table visual, and switch the detail column to first/last mode.

1.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft, Is there way for the nodes to expand to lower hierarchical levels? Say the first node is "Fruit" then that has three nodes that connect to it, (1) apples (2) bananas (3) melons. Then from the "apples" node three other nodes connect to it (1) fuji (2) granny smith (3) gala. Same goes for bananas and melons. Right now I can only create a nodes that show a connection to fruit-> gala, or apples->gala. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.