Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AMR80
Frequent Visitor

First Day of the Month and Current Year

I need to find the first day of the month from the month an employee started, but use the current year. 

I'm trying to do this with a Measure in PBI desktop. 

I tried the below measure formula, but it doesn't recognize the "Month" portion of the formula: 

AMR80_0-1620661365230.png

AMR80_1-1620661385246.png

The [Start Date] field is a Date field: 

AMR80_2-1620661562003.png

Here's the measure formula:
Personal Hours Reset Date = DATE(Year(TODAY()),'Employee Time Used - Hours'[Start Date],STARTOFMONTH('Employee Time Used - Hours'[Start Date])
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @AMR80 

Try the below formula:

Start of Current year Month = DATE(
                                                          YEAR(TODAY()),
                                                          MONTH(MIN('Date Sample'[given_date])),
                                                          1)

Thanks
Raj

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @AMR80 

Try the below formula:

Start of Current year Month = DATE(
                                                          YEAR(TODAY()),
                                                          MONTH(MIN('Date Sample'[given_date])),
                                                          1)

Thanks
Raj

That did it @Anonymous !! Thank you very much

Krutigawale33
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hell0 @AMR80 ,

try with below measure,

Measure = DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),MONTH(MAX(Table[date])),DAY(STARTOFMONTH(Table[date])))

That got me much closer thank you! The only issue now is the DAY. It returned 3/5/2021 instead of 3/1/2021. The actual Start Date in the Start Date field is 3/19/2018. Here is what your formula returned in PBI: 

AMR80_1-1620675351355.png

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

You need to pass a number between 1 and 12 for the month parameter. You're trying to pass a date there.

Also, a measure is evaluated in context so if using a field from the data it has to have an aggregation round it (MIN, MAX etc) .  So please be aware whent constructing the measure.

Thank you @HotChilli but I still cannot get it to work. Can you suggest a measure formula that would take this date (for example): 3/9/2018 and return: 3/1/2021 (the first of the month from the original date and the current year). 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.