Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Dudeman
Helper I
Helper I

Finding MIN date in a table within a group

Hi. I have the following flight booking data. I'm looking for a Dax formula to pick out the actual destination. See below for what I'm looking for and some IF logic. RDU is the actual destination, the other rows are either connections or the flight back home from RDU.

LOOKING FOR.. 
BookingNumberdepartingAirportarrivalAirportarrivalTimeMaxArrivalArrivalDateArrive/ConnectActual Destination 
12345BUFATL6/10/21 7:00 AM6/10/21 10:00 AM6/10/21ConnectionN/A 
12345ATLRDU6/10/21 10:00 AM6/10/21 10:00 AM6/10/21ArrivalRDUIF MaxArrival = arrivalTime AND Arrive/Connect = Arrival
12345RDUATL6/14/21 11:00 AM6/14/21 2:00 PM6/14/21ConnectionN/A 
12345ATLBUF6/14/21 2:00 PM6/14/21 2:00 PM6/14/21ArrivalN/A 

I'm thinking I need to find the minimum arrival date within the booking with the maximum arrival time/date to flag RDU as the destination.

MaxArrival is a caluclated measure:

MaxArrival =  CALCULATE(MAX( 'Legs'[arrivalTime]),
ALLEXCEPT ('Legs','Legs'[BookingNumber]),
GROUPBY('Legs','Legs'[ArrivalDate]))

I'm grouping by BookingNumber (via ALLEXCEPT) as there are other booking numbers in my full dataset (this is just a sample).

Arrive/Connect is a calculated column:

Arrive/Connect = IF([Max Arrival] = 'Legs'[arrivalTime], "ArrivingDest", "Connection")

*I need a Dax solution as my data is coming from a Live Connection/direct query PBI dataset. I can't transform the data.
I have tried various calculated columns and measures but get various errors.

Thank you!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Dudeman 
There are only a few more rows I can just type in. That was my mistake, I have thought about the multiple booking numbers, but forgot to bring it into the formula. Change the Result Destination measure to the following should work.

Result Destination = IF([MaxArrival]=MINX(FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Legs),[BookingNumber]=MAX([BookingNumber])),[MaxArrival]) && [ArriveConnect]="Arrival",MAX([arrivalAirport]))

V-pazhen-msft_0-1621493132420.png

Best Regards
Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Dudeman 
There are only a few more rows I can just type in. That was my mistake, I have thought about the multiple booking numbers, but forgot to bring it into the formula. Change the Result Destination measure to the following should work.

Result Destination = IF([MaxArrival]=MINX(FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Legs),[BookingNumber]=MAX([BookingNumber])),[MaxArrival]) && [ArriveConnect]="Arrival",MAX([arrivalAirport]))

V-pazhen-msft_0-1621493132420.png

Best Regards

Sorry Paul. One last question. That measure works, but I now need to composite in a country table with a relationship to the airport code. Result Destination needs to be in a calculated column in order for me to link the detination airport code to my country table (I think?).

Can you help with what the calculated column formula would be for the solution you provided?

Thanks again.

Amazing. Thank you SO much @V-pazhen-msft Paul. Really appreciate your help on this.

If it's not too much to ask, and no rush at all, would you mind explaining what the formula is doing? It's a bit difficult for me to understand all the pieces and how they're working together here.

Thanks again.

V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Dudeman 

To  achieve your desired result, you would need to create the 3 measures:

MaxArrival = CALCULATE(MAX( 'Legs'[arrivalTime]),ALLEXCEPT ('Legs','Legs'[BookingNumber]),GROUPBY('Legs','Legs'[ArrivalDate]))

ArriveConnect = IF([MaxArrival]= MAX([arrivalTime]), "Arrival", "Connection")

Result Destination = IF([MaxArrival]=MINX(ALL(Legs),[MaxArrival]) && [ArriveConnect]="Arrival",MAX([arrivalAirport]))

V-pazhen-msft_0-1621321545912.png

If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@V-pazhen-msft Paul, thank you so much - very close but not quite. This is more what I'm looking for though.

This works with a single booking number, but when I apply it to my larger dataset with more booking numbers I only get a sinlge destination. I need to constrain the Min of the Max Arrival time to each booking number. How would you adjust your solution if there are more than one booking?

Thanks so much.

Here is an expanded example dataset.. for some reason it won't take my new table so here's an image of it:

Picture2.png

12345 = RDU

23456 = YYZ

34567 = SEA

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Dudeman I would think a measure like:

Measure =
  VAR __ArrivalAirport = MAX('Table'[ArrivalAirport]
  VAR __ArriveConnect = MAX('Table'[Arrive/Connect])
  VAR __ArriveDate = MAX('Table'[ArrivalDate])
RETURN
  IF(__ArriveDate = [Max Arrival] && __ArriveConnect = "Arrival",__ArrivalAirport,"N/A")

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler 

Thanks for the reply Greg.

When I add your measure to the table a black box pops up and then disappears (with a title bar saying something about SQL) and then it breaks my table visual saying it can't display the visual.

Thoughts?

Perhaps there's another way to do this, a shorter way, where I don't need to use the Arrive/Connect calc'd column? Maybe I can say something like flag the row as the destination where the minimum MaxArrival date for a booking (6/10/21 10:00AM) equals the arrivalTime? Something like that could return RDU.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.