Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MichaelBauld
Frequent Visitor

Find the last recorded value based on filter context

Hi there,

This is probably a very simple problem, but for some reason I am really struggling. I have a table with 3 rows which represent annual KPI measures:

Date                  KPI

01/03/2019      0.65

01/03/2020      0.67

01/03/2021      0.68

I'm building a scorecard view with a range of different measures and tables and for all of them I want to pull into the report the latest values based on the date filter context  (drawn from my calendar table). For the above KPI this works fine when I am simply using an annual filter, but as soon as I look at quarters or months (which will be necessary) the value returned to the card is blank as the only month with data is March. 

What I am struggling with is how to build a DAX measure which will return the last value within the selected date range regardless of whether the specified month/quarter actually has a recorded value. i.e.

March 2020 = 0.67

July 2020 = 0.67

March 2021 = 0.68 

...and so on

Can anyone suggest how I might go about this?

Kind regards

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The basic approach I think you want is to 1) get latest date for time period in your visual, 2) get all KPIs from latest date from #1 and earlier, 3) get the most recent KPI in subset from #2.

Here is a measure that follows this approach:

Latest KPI = 
VAR _LastDtInRange = MAX( 'Calendar'[Date] )
VAR _AllCurrentAndPreviousKPIs = CALCULATETABLE( KPIs, 'Calendar'[Date] <= _LastDtInRange )
VAR _LatestKPIrow = TOPN( 1, _AllCurrentAndPreviousKPIs , KPIs[Date] , DESC )
VAR _LatestKPIval = LASTNONBLANK( CALCULATETABLE( VALUES( KPIs[KPI] ), _LatestKPIrow ), 1 )
RETURN
_LatestKPIval

Output (note it works in year, month, quarter, etc. filter context):

MarkLaf_1-1661444508228.png

FYI here is the model I set up for this to work. Note that I'm using same sample data you provided in initial post:

MarkLaf_2-1661444588321.png

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Please ensure that you have a Calendar Table with calculated columns for Year, Month name and Month number.  Sort the Month name by the Month number.  There should be a relationship (Many to One and Single) between the Data Table and the Calendar Table.  To your slicers/filters, drag Year and Month name from the Calendar Table and select any one Year and Month name.  Write this measure

= CALCULATE([KPI],LASTNONBLANK('Calendar'[Date],CALCULATE([KPI])))

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@MichaelBauld Maybe:

Measure =
  VAR __StartDate = MIN('Calendar'[Date])
  VAR __EndDate = MAX('Calendar'[Date])
  VAR __MaxDate = MAXX(FILTER('Table',[Date] >= __StartDate && [Date]<=__EndDate),[Date])
RETURN
  MAXX(FILTER('Table',[Date] = __MaxDate),[KPI])

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks @Greg_Deckler , this seems to work when I use a date slider, but when I have a separate year and month drop down it still delivers blank results when the month selected isn't one that has a value within the KPI table:

Scorecard ScreenshotScorecard Screenshot

Would I need to make the value of the KPI a cumulative sum based on the filter of year and month so it delivers a value in all months?

Thanks!

Michael

@MichaelBauld Well, you use ALL or ALLSELECTED like this:

Measure =
  VAR __StartDate = MIN('Calendar'[Date])
  VAR __EndDate = MAX('Calendar'[Date])
  VAR __MaxDate = MAXX(FILTER(ALL('Table'),[Date] >= __StartDate && [Date]<=__EndDate),[Date])
RETURN
  MAXX(FILTER('Table',[Date] = __MaxDate),[KPI])

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler , thanks for the suggestion. I tried using the ALL function as you suggested but I was still getting the same problem of blank values on all months except March (3). Probably doing somethign wrong on my end though!

The basic approach I think you want is to 1) get latest date for time period in your visual, 2) get all KPIs from latest date from #1 and earlier, 3) get the most recent KPI in subset from #2.

Here is a measure that follows this approach:

Latest KPI = 
VAR _LastDtInRange = MAX( 'Calendar'[Date] )
VAR _AllCurrentAndPreviousKPIs = CALCULATETABLE( KPIs, 'Calendar'[Date] <= _LastDtInRange )
VAR _LatestKPIrow = TOPN( 1, _AllCurrentAndPreviousKPIs , KPIs[Date] , DESC )
VAR _LatestKPIval = LASTNONBLANK( CALCULATETABLE( VALUES( KPIs[KPI] ), _LatestKPIrow ), 1 )
RETURN
_LatestKPIval

Output (note it works in year, month, quarter, etc. filter context):

MarkLaf_1-1661444508228.png

FYI here is the model I set up for this to work. Note that I'm using same sample data you provided in initial post:

MarkLaf_2-1661444588321.png

Thanks @MarkLaf , your approach works perfectly. This will really help with some other tables I will need to pull in to the scorecard as well which follow a simialr pattern of variable date inputs (typically annually or quarterly). Thanks again!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.