Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Find status for a customer

Hi guys,

I am trying to build a report that can tell me whether a customer is new / current / lost.

This depends on the when they last ordered something at the company.

I thought I had it figured out with a summarize table, but the column will sometimes give all three different results for one single customer. It needs to be a column because we need to be able to sort on the customer status.

Below you can find what I use now in my summarize table:

"Status"; IF(CALCULATE(SUM('Reservations'[Amount]); 'PowerBI_Calendar'[Year] > (YEAR(TODAY())-3); 'PowerBI_Calendar'[Year] < YEAR(TODAY())) > 0 ; "Current" ; IF(CALCULATE(SUM('Reservations'[Amount]); 'bo PowerBI_Calendar'[Year] = YEAR(TODAY())); "New"; "Lost"))

Can anybody help?

10 REPLIES 10
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

What is the purpose of the Status column there?  Isn't this the result you are expecting?  Also, would you be OK if Status is a measure (not a calcuated column formula)?

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Ashish_Mathur ,

I would be totally fine with a measure. However, I can't use a measure to filter the results.

That's why I am using a calculated column.

The result I would want is that there is one status for each accountnumber. Not (a different) one for each individual record

Hi,

You may download my solution PBI file from here.  I have used only measures to solve the problem which is ahy i can select Current, New and Lost in a slicer.  No value will appear for Lost because we do not have data prior to 2017.  Once you add sales data prior to 2017 to your dataset, you will see the customers lost figure aas well.

Hope this helps.

Untitled.png

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You could unpivot these 4 columns as one column in the query editor. Then you could remove "Sales_" and only keep years.

1-1.PNG

Then you could use SUMMARIZE().

Table =
SUMMARIZE (
    Sheet1,
    Sheet1[Accountnumber],
    "Status", IF (
        CALCULATE (
            SUM ( Sheet1[Value] ),
            FILTER (
                Sheet1,
                Sheet1[Attribute]
                    > ( YEAR ( TODAY () ) - 3 )
                    && Sheet1[Attribute] < YEAR ( TODAY () )
            )
        ) > 0,
        "Current",
        IF (
            CALCULATE (
                SUM ( Sheet1[Value] ),
                FILTER ( Sheet1, Sheet1[Attribute] = YEAR ( TODAY () ) )
            ) > 0,
            "New",
            "Lost"
        )
    )
)

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Try based on date like

Summarize(Customer,Customer[Csutomer],"Status",
				Switch( True(),
					datediff(max(Reservations[Reservations Date]),today(),Year) >= 3 ,"Lost",
					datediff(max(Reservations[Reservations Date]),today(),Year) >= 0 ,"Current",
					"New"))
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @amitchandak  thanks for the quick reply,

sadly this still gives all three results for most customers.

Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

First thing I don't understand your DAX measure, looks like it has got error.

Can you tell me the check points correctly for different customer status, so that I can suggest a DAX for it?

Try sharing some sample data with example.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Pragati11 ,

it is actually part of a summarize table, that's why it might look a little funny.

But I made some sample data in excel which I hope might help. The idea is that any costumer that didn't order after 2017 is considered a lost costumer. If they ordered between 2017 and 2020 they are current and if they didn't order in 2018 or 2019, but they did in 2020 they are considered new.

https://iblsoftware1-my.sharepoint.com/:x:/g/personal/queenie_barends_truelime_nl/EXobgfCzdBVNs0EInc...

Let me know if you need anything else.

Kind regards,
Queenie

@Anonymous , Assume you have 4 different column , then you need to have something like this

Switch(true(),
not(isblank([Sales_2020])) && (isblank([Sales_2019])) && (isblank([Sales_2018])), "New"	,	
not(isblank([Sales_2020])) && (not(isblank([Sales_2019])) || not(isblank([Sales_2018]))), "Current"	,	
(isblank([Sales_2020])) && (isblank([Sales_2019])) && (isblank([Sales_2018])), "Lost"
)		
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @amitchandak ,

It is 4 different columns, but it is grouped by reservation date. This means that I have multiple records for one year and that is probably why my first idea doesn't work.

Kind regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.