Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Stefancy
Frequent Visitor

Filters on this Visual - Not Working / Stopped Working

I often use the visual level filters to hide various content until something is selected.  This article walks a user through many of the steps I've taken to accomplish this:

https://exceleratorbi.com.au/show-or-hide-a-power-bi-visual-based-on-selection/

I've also found this in my research:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/I-can-t-change-filter-in-Visual-level-filters/td-p/1000431

...along with many others. 

but none of them have addressed the problem I'm facing.  

Using the "Filters on this visual" feature is extremely hit or miss, usually miss, and the latest really exemplifies the problem.  After hours of slight tweaks, I was able to it to work on a Multi-row card (at this point I don't really care what the visual is since I can't get it to work no matter what I do)

Stefancy_0-1636498605600.png

After that was in place, I needed to do the exact same thing again, only with a different field (in the above example, Vehicle is the field that I needed to check the filtering of, I also need to do it with Practice, Market, etc. in three other reports)

I set up all the measures exactly the same (provided below), and as soon as I added "Practice Hide Vis..." (Vehicle Hide Vis...'s counterpart), they both stopped working.  By which I mean, in that above screenshot, I suddenly couldn't even touch the one that WAS working just moments before.  Please help! This is driving me crazy. 

Here are the measures in place:

Vehicle Hide Visual = IF[Vehicle Check Filtered]1 )
Vehicle Check Filtered = ISFILTERED ( 'Vehicles'[Title] )
Practice Hide Visual = IF[Practice Check Filtered]1 )
Practice Check Filtered = ISFILTERED ( 'Lookup_Organization Map'[Prac+Name] )

Another one I tried:
Vehicle SlicerCheck2 = IFISFILTERED (Vehicles[Title]), BLANK(), 1
That one worked previously on a multi-row card with the criteria being "is blank"
Stefancy_2-1636499466960.png

Now it doesn't work:

Stefancy_3-1636499497621.png

There are many different attempts within this pbix, but these are the relevant ones. 
I have many trial and error cards displaying the result, proving that the measures are working correctly.  So why, when I add them as a filter on a visual, am I not allowed to change the value or criteria. 

What is going on? This seems like a bug.  I use this feature all the time and haven't ever had this much trouble. 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Stefancy
Frequent Visitor

Yes, they are properly treating those measures are Boolean.  The measures are working as expected, as proven by the cards that display their values.  

This discussion is the only place that I can find that confirms that there is a limitation:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/I-can-t-change-filter-in-Visual-level-filters/m-p/1002462#M...

Stefancy_0-1636555664413.png

That said, I have copied, deleted, started over, and am using the exact same measures in multiple pbix files and it seems that the limitation is that it only works when a multi-row card is showing a categorical list of values.  

Here it is working:

Stefancy_3-1636558404042.png

As soon as I change the displayed field to a measure or a numeric value, it stops working:

Stefancy_4-1636558509346.png

I found a workaround that provides the necessary results:  Make a multi-row card with a categorical list of values, put in place the visual level filter, then change the card to display the measure.  The visual level filter stays in place, and even though it cannot be changed at this point, it still works.  

Stefancy_5-1636558969094.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Stefancy
Frequent Visitor

Yes, they are properly treating those measures are Boolean.  The measures are working as expected, as proven by the cards that display their values.  

This discussion is the only place that I can find that confirms that there is a limitation:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/I-can-t-change-filter-in-Visual-level-filters/m-p/1002462#M...

Stefancy_0-1636555664413.png

That said, I have copied, deleted, started over, and am using the exact same measures in multiple pbix files and it seems that the limitation is that it only works when a multi-row card is showing a categorical list of values.  

Here it is working:

Stefancy_3-1636558404042.png

As soon as I change the displayed field to a measure or a numeric value, it stops working:

Stefancy_4-1636558509346.png

I found a workaround that provides the necessary results:  Make a multi-row card with a categorical list of values, put in place the visual level filter, then change the card to display the measure.  The visual level filter stays in place, and even though it cannot be changed at this point, it still works.  

Stefancy_5-1636558969094.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm suspicious of the two lines of code in red below.  Are you sure that those caclulations are properly treating [Vehicle Check Filtered] and [Practice Check Filtered] as actual Boolean values to make the IF logic happy? 

Here are the measures in place:

Vehicle Hide Visual = IF ( [Vehicle Check Filtered]1 )
Vehicle Check Filtered = ISFILTERED ( 'Vehicles'[Title] )
Practice Hide Visual = IF ( [Practice Check Filtered]1 )
Practice Check Filtered = ISFILTERED ( 'Lookup_Organization Map'[Prac+Name] )

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.