Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Mrmr_Optimistic
Frequent Visitor

Filtering text by n values

Hi,

I have a column of that I need to filter by a set values contained in a 2nd table.

The closest thing I could find is the following, using List.Contains or List.ConstainsAny:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Filter-using-imported-list/m-p/155804#M67461

However, this approach only gives me exact matchs.

Example:

List.Constains({{"wine"}}, {{"wine"}})    returns true

List.Contains({"a wine from italy"}}, {{"wine}})   returns false

Text.Contains goes beyond exact matches, but there is no Text.ContainsAny to text for a list of values (only 1).

Is there an easy way to use Text.Contains("string to evaluate", "string to look for")...
With the goals of:

1. Filtering using a dynamic list of filterValues
  2. Filtering if it contains, and not just exact matches.

?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@Mrmr_Optimistic

To search multiple values in a string, you need to custom a function like:

Text.ContainsAny = (string as text, list as list) as logical =>
        List.AnyTrue(List.Transform(list, (substring) => Text.Contains(string, substring)))

Capture.PNG

See a similar thread below:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/35316657/how-to-search-multiple-strings-in-a-string/35324537

Regards,

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@Mrmr_Optimistic

To search multiple values in a string, you need to custom a function like:

List.AnyTrue(List.Transform(list, (substring) => Text.Contains(string, substring)))

Capture.PNG

See a similar thread below:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/35316657/how-to-search-multiple-strings-in-a-string/35324537

Regards,

Thanks, it works great on a 400 rows dataset I tried.

Hopefully, I can optimize my filters prior to launching the function, because it currently doesn't work on a million+ rows dataset I'm targeting.

Which I find odd, since I only tested for 2 keywords, which I would have expected to take a similar amount of time to when using:

each Text.Contains([Column 1], "Keyword 1") or Text.Contains([Column 1], "Keyword 2")

The code is at risk of leaving residual errors if one of the text value is null, so I added a "try" when filtering.

List.AnyTrue(List.Transform(list, (substring) => Text.Contains(string, substring))),

#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"lowercased dataset", each try Text.ContainsAny([Nom du produit], Keywords) otherwise false)

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.