Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

costing
Regular Visitor

Filter table column by measure value

I have a table my_table  below and a measure meas_a which takes on values a, b or c
How can my time series visualisation using col_b (x-axis) and col_c (y-axis) be filtered by col_a = meas_a?

costing_0-1709618637830.png

For example, if meas_a = "c", then only the last three rows will be included in the visualisation.

Here's a non-picture version of the above table:

col_acol_bcol_c
a1/1/20241
a1/2/20242
a1/3/20243
b1/1/20244
b1/2/20245
b1/3/20246
c1/1/20247
c1/2/20248
c1/3/20249

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HI @costing,

Measure expressions are calculated based on their row contents and group. If you want to invoke the specific calculation results in other measure formulas.
It should be better to create variable with summarize function to reproduce the current row contents structures and you can invoke the measure in this variable table.

Reference link:

Measure Totals, The Final Word 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PijushRoy
Super User
Super User

Hi @costing 

Please look into the solution in another post
Solved: measure not filtering visuals when clicked - Microsoft Fabric Community

Let me know if that works for you

If your requirement is solved, please mark THIS ANSWER as SOLUTION ✔️ and help other users find the solution quickly. Please hit the Thumbs Up 👍 button if this comment helps you.

Thanks
Pijush
Linkedin

Hi, sorry I have no idea how the link relates to my question 😅

Hi @costing 

Please share sample data in usable format (not an image)

Here you go!

col_acol_bcol_c
a1/1/20241
a1/2/20242
a1/3/20243
b1/1/20244
b1/2/20245
b1/3/20246
c1/1/20247
c1/2/20248
c1/3/20249

my attempts have been to create new measures for col_b and col_c
For example for col_c

not_working_meas_c = calculate(my_table[col_c], my_table[col_a] = [meas_a])

However this is incorrect DAX. 

The below does work, but it gives the sum, a single value, whereas I need a value for each row from the filtered table to go into the time series chart:

unhelpful_meas_c = calculate(sum(my_table[col_c]), my_table[col_a] = [meas_a])

It seems like a very simple use case.  If you know R, the answer would simply be:

r_meas_c = my_table[col_a == meas_a]$col_c

HI @costing,

Measure expressions are calculated based on their row contents and group. If you want to invoke the specific calculation results in other measure formulas.
It should be better to create variable with summarize function to reproduce the current row contents structures and you can invoke the measure in this variable table.

Reference link:

Measure Totals, The Final Word 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.