Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RK_JOB
Helper II
Helper II

Filter table at higher level of grain from a graph

Hello,

Is it possible to show the higher level data and not filter all the way through?

For e.g.: Here if someone clicks on the 80.7 in the graph, then in the table below instead of showing just that row, show everything (like in figure 2).

Figure 1:

RK_JOB_4-1636499093993.png

Figure 2:

Can we achieve this with DAX? I put in the sample file here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RBMJfF5BVcxutHr-jCU7RgSP1IQEboxO/view?usp=sharing

Thanks. Please let me know if you have any questions.
RK

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous Really appreciate your effort. I got a solution. Someone else suggested this on other forum. If you have any other idea then I would love to know another way of doing this. Nonetheless, here it is with disconnected table and measure. I don't understand it fully yet but it but it works. 🙂

Step 1: 

Table = ALL(HC[ETHNIC_GRP_TEXT])

Step 2:
Measure 2 =
VAR SV =
SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table'[ETHNIC_GRP_TEXT] )
VAR SM =
SELECTEDVALUE ( HC[GLMNGR_TEXT] )
RETURN
IF (
ISFILTERED ( HC[ETHNIC_GRP_TEXT] ),
CALCULATE ( [Headcount], HC[GLMNGR_TEXT] = SM && HC[ETHNIC_GRP_TEXT] = SV ),
CALCULATE ( [Headcount], HC[ETHNIC_GRP_TEXT] = SV )
)

Step 3:

Final =
IF (
SUMX ( VALUES ( 'Table'[ETHNIC_GRP_TEXT] ), [Measure 2] ) = 0,
BLANK (),
SUMX ( VALUES ( 'Table'[ETHNIC_GRP_TEXT] ), [Measure 2] )
)

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RK_JOB I believe we are on the right track now, although I'm still trying to get it to filter out groups with 0 head count, but that could be done in the visual as well. Also, i'm, noticing small changes in the numbers when clicking on different colors in a single bar. That shouldn't be happening though, right?

Good news, this also works with multiselections and the labels as well.

skeets20_1-1636560520826.png

To get the calc group in play, add it as a filter to the table

skeets20_2-1636560677806.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Striking this out since it didn't work

Ok, so I created  a Calculated table summarized by Manager Type and Ethnic group.  This is pretty quick and dirty but hopefully it gets you on a good path.

RollupTable = SUMMARIZECOLUMNS(
'HC'[GLMNGR_TEXT],'HC'[ETHNIC_GRP_TEXT],
"HeadcountRollup",[Headcount]
)

Also added a relationship (this one is many to many)

skeets20_1-1636511399153.png

Switch the detail table over to use the Summary table insted

skeets20_0-1636511338659.png

There's going to be other options to handle this but this is the one I went to first after downloading your sample file... Which BTW is awesome of you to put together.

@Anonymous Thanks for the idea. But why your numbers are little inflated? I modified the table a little bit and put filter below. It has everything + filter for Country which is United States. But in the rollup table I am still getting little bit more number than what I should be getting.

Any idea?

RK_JOB_0-1636513339017.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was racking my brain on this quite a while last night.  I think Calculation group is the right way to go, and I would totally expect this to work, but still getting the selected Ethnic group instead of all of them.  

The nice thing about getting it to work as a Calculation group is that it's scalable across all your measures.  I'm not sure why the

ALL ( 'HC'[ETHNIC_GRP_TEXT] ),

isn't breaking the filter scope though.

skeets20_0-1636558022587.png

my guess is it has to do with everything being on the same table but that still seems odd to me.  I have another idea I'm working on now, but wanted to share this for purpose of conversation and noting failed attempts for reference.

@Anonymous Really appreciate your effort. I got a solution. Someone else suggested this on other forum. If you have any other idea then I would love to know another way of doing this. Nonetheless, here it is with disconnected table and measure. I don't understand it fully yet but it but it works. 🙂

Step 1: 

Table = ALL(HC[ETHNIC_GRP_TEXT])

Step 2:
Measure 2 =
VAR SV =
SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table'[ETHNIC_GRP_TEXT] )
VAR SM =
SELECTEDVALUE ( HC[GLMNGR_TEXT] )
RETURN
IF (
ISFILTERED ( HC[ETHNIC_GRP_TEXT] ),
CALCULATE ( [Headcount], HC[GLMNGR_TEXT] = SM && HC[ETHNIC_GRP_TEXT] = SV ),
CALCULATE ( [Headcount], HC[ETHNIC_GRP_TEXT] = SV )
)

Step 3:

Final =
IF (
SUMX ( VALUES ( 'Table'[ETHNIC_GRP_TEXT] ), [Measure 2] ) = 0,
BLANK (),
SUMX ( VALUES ( 'Table'[ETHNIC_GRP_TEXT] ), [Measure 2] )
)
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RK_JOB did you see my reply regarding the Calculation Groups.  The nice thing with that option is it will work for other measures as well.  I can dig into it some more if you are interested in that option.  I'll play with the other solution you found as well and compare the two

Tbh, I googled calculation groups and tried to read upon how they work. Still learning. 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Off the top of my head it's probably the Many-Many relationship causing the problem. I'll keep playing with it, but someone else might beat me to it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Haven't looked at your sample file but I will. Until then, if you want to persist the manager level in scope you could do a measure that use ALLEXECEPT() and use that measure in your table.

CALCULATE([Measure],ALLEXCEPT('ManagerLevel'))

@Anonymous 

No, didn't work.

Manager All Except = CALCULATE([Headcount],ALLEXCEPT(HC,HC[GLMNGR_TEXT]))

This when I didn't select anything.

RK_JOB_0-1636508770953.png

This is, when I selected 80.7 in the bar:

RK_JOB_1-1636508873914.png

I don't think measure is the way to go...may be I don't know.

Basically, I want even if they select the bar which is 80.7% (which mean it's Executive and Ethnicity is White), in the table I want to show all the ethnicities for the Executive.

I hope it makes sense.

Thanks,

RK

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.