Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

cybertunnel
Regular Visitor

Filter on Application not installed on a specific device

So I have broken down my dataset to a simple setup for argument's sake.

So I have a list of devices in 'Devices' which has the [id], [name]. I have another table 'Applications' which has the [device id], [app name]. The problem I am having is filtering on devices which DON'T have application 'Microsoft Power BI'. I can find devices which DO have it, but can't figure out how to filter on just devices which don't have the specified app.

Thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @cybertunnel ,

I created a sample pbix file(see attachment), please check whether that is what you want. You can create a measure as below to get the count of devices which don't have the special character:

Count of devices which don't have = 
VAR _searchtext = "Outlook"
VAR _tab =
    CALCULATETABLE (
        VALUES ( 'Applications'[Device ID] ),
        CONTAINSSTRING ( 'Applications'[Application], _searchtext )
    )
VAR _tab2 =
    CALCULATETABLE (
        NOT ( CONTAINSSTRING ( 'Applications'[Application], _searchtext ) )
    )
RETURN
    COUNTROWS ( EXCEPT ( _tab2, _tab ) )

yingyinr_0-1633338588366.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
VahidDM
Super User
Super User

Hi @cybertunnel 

try this filter:

FILTER(Applications,Applications[app name]<>"Microsoft Power BI")

If you share a sample of your data and result in a table format, that will help to prepare a better solution.

If this post helps, please consider accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Appreciate your Kudos!!

I actually noticed the issue with my communication, sorry for that.

The filter your purposed, does work, but I guess my filtering is wrong, or something is flawed.

The problem I have is the Applications table returns rows which have the name that doesn't match 'Microsoft Power BI' which might be a device with 'Microsoft Excel'. This problem allows a device which has Power BI installed, but is grabbed by the filter since there is an entry with "Microsoft Excel".

Hope that helps shed the light on the issue I am having. The filter on the table relationship is in both directions on the Device's ID, just an FYI.

I was hoping for more of a filter option able to be used in a report. I was even thinking of a measure if really needed.

The dataset I have has some sensitive information, how would I go about making a table for reference for you?

Hi @cybertunnel 

Create a sample table with some data not real data (5 or 6 rows are enough if that cover your request?

More important, create a result table to be clear what are you looking for?

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Ok, so here are some an example Dataset below. So using the dataset below, I have 5 devices with a range of different applications.

So I have 5 total devices, and if I say I want to grab the total of the below that DO have Power BI, I get 3, but if I say that DON'T have Power BI, I still get 5. I have cross filtering on the datasets as well, and my Measure is counting the table rows in Devices.

I also have 4 devices which have Outlook, but when I ask for devices which don't have Outlook it returns 5 devices not 1.

```let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("fZLLCsIwEEV/pWTtxiR+gC/EhbRQ0UXporbRBtOO5KF+vrYFX8y4nHsS5lyYLGNjNmIbXVpwcPRRHLwBOLN89EuW91IZJE/gpuwFdOsRuAdbIfFWFY1D8rhVC6uv6oVS/3zZT5zU5P90ONGB45qc0ER2RLM1JvbZoEMrgJNR0by20AypIJsIQlbQ2wXeQxA9BC3boZ12oTBR6kOlYfghSVtJ2EraVuK2krb6RtOyVA7zSsLBaFcr27PJ+3LyBw==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Device ID" = _t, Application = _t]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Device ID", Int64.Type}, {"Application", type text}})
in
#"Changed Type"```

```let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUQrJz40pNTAwMi9W8EksKMkvUIrViVYyAsq4JJZlpsDkXFKLs2GSxkDJ4MScnEqYZHBpUVpicipY0gQo6ZNfVJSYmZeKxWBToLRvYmaOQnBqUVlqkVJsLAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Device ID" = _t, #"Device Name" = _t]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Device ID", Int64.Type}, {"Device Name", type text}})
in
#"Changed Type"```

cybertunnel_1-1633025948859.png

Hi @cybertunnel ,

I created a sample pbix file(see attachment), please check whether that is what you want. You can create a measure as below to get the count of devices which don't have the special character:

Count of devices which don't have = 
VAR _searchtext = "Outlook"
VAR _tab =
    CALCULATETABLE (
        CONTAINSSTRING ( 'Applications'[Application], _searchtext )
    )
VAR _tab2 =
    CALCULATETABLE (
        NOT ( CONTAINSSTRING ( 'Applications'[Application], _searchtext ) )
    )
RETURN
    COUNTROWS ( EXCEPT ( _tab2, _tab ) )

yingyinr_0-1633338588366.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you! This works!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.