Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

cassidy
Power Participant
Power Participant

Filter has empty values on Visual/Page, works on All Pages

This one has been bugging me and I just don't get it.

I have a calculated column filter called "Fiscal Current Day", that simply looks at today's date and marks it accordingly across all years before it.  It allows me to compare same day metrics over several years.  Works great.

If I turn it on, it causes SOME other filters to no longer show their Values.  But, if I move the other filters to "All Pages", it works again.

It must be a relationship thing, but why would it work on All Pages if that's the case?  Any thoughts?

Here it is causing a 2nd filter on this page to go empty:

cassidy_0-1602881444115.png

If I move the 2nd filter to All Pages, the Values show up:

cassidy_1-1602881521623.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I found it!  I had a relationship between two tables that was at the Week level, they both connected by the Start Date of the week (Sunday).  The filter was set BOTH, effectively removing all other days of the week.  I set it to Single (Table A -> Table B) and it worked!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cassidy,

I think these blank selection should more relate to your relationships, they may exist values who not mapping with related table records.

Slicer showing Blank as a value when data does not have any blank values 

If you want to fix this, you can create a calculated table to extract two side table records and use it as a bridge to link table fields.
Then you can filter on bridge table fields and the 'blank' option should not display anymore.

Bridge =
DISTINCT ( UNION ( ALL ( Table1[Column] ), ALL ( Table2[Column] ) ) )

How to Join Many to Many with a Bridge Table in Power BI 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

@v-shex-msft 

I've put together another example that my help.  The 1st section is my actual Calendar table that marks 1 or 0 based on the current day (in this case it's 10/15).  The 2nd section is how a different table (Hierarch), with no direct relationship, is reacting as a filter.

• FiscalCurrentDay & FiscalPriorDay both cause the 2nd filter to have empty values.  All other time periods work fine.
CalendarDateFiscalMonthToDateFiscalQuarterToDateFiscalWeekToDateFiscalYearToDateFiscalPriorDayFiscalCurrentDayFiscalPriorWeek
10/11/20201111000
10/12/20201111000
10/13/20201111000
10/14/20201111100
10/15/20201111010

Hierarchy Filter       
GirlsVisibleVisibleVisibleVisibleDisappearsDisappearsVisible
BoysVisibleVisibleVisibleVisibleDisappearsDisappearsVisible
BabyVisibleVisibleVisibleVisibleDisappearsDisappearsVisible

I just got some new info, it's all about Sunday!

If the time period includes a Sunday it works, which is why Week,Month,Quarter, Year to date all work.  Prior Day / Current Day works if it's a Sunday.

In fact, if I choose random Dates, it must be or include a Sunday to keep the filter values showing.  So strange, getting closer!

I found it!  I had a relationship between two tables that was at the Week level, they both connected by the Start Date of the week (Sunday).  The filter was set BOTH, effectively removing all other days of the week.  I set it to Single (Table A -> Table B) and it worked!

@v-shex-msft thanks for your reply.  I'm fine with the blank selection showing. 

My post was about the "Yes" & "No" selections disappearing as shown in the images.  Those options are available to be if the filter is on All Pages, but not on the Visual or This Page.  Any idea why that happens? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.