Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

poweruser55
Helper IV
Helper IV

Filter data table based on bar graph selection

I have  a report that has a graph and when one of the bars is selected I want it to filter the data table so that only that data is shown. But the data table and the graph are on different pages. So I need the data table to change dynamically based on the graph on the first page.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
johnt75
Super User
Super User

If you add the category from your bar chart as a drillthrough field on your data table page then users would be able to right-click on the elements of the bar chart and use drillthrough to go to the data page, which would be filtered by the category they chose.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @poweruser55 ,

Please have a try.

• With nothing selected on the report canvas, select the Slicer icon in the Visualizations pane to create a new slicer.
  • With the new slicer selected, from the Fields pane, expand the District table and populate the slicer.

You can sync a slicer and use it on any or all pages in a report.

• In Power BI Desktop on the View ribbon, select Sync slicers.

vpollymsft_2-1646704481505.png

• The Sync slicers pane appears between the Filters and Visualizations panes.

vpollymsft_1-1646704454876.png

You can select the pages that the filter needs to synchronize.

More details: Sync and use slicers on other pages 

Or you can filter the data on all pages and this cannot select the pages.

vpollymsft_3-1646704681477.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

johnt75
Super User
Super User

If you add the category from your bar chart as a drillthrough field on your data table page then users would be able to right-click on the elements of the bar chart and use drillthrough to go to the data page, which would be filtered by the category they chose.

ebeery
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@poweruser55 this approach isn't making a whole lot of sense to me.  To my knowledge, it is not possible to change data on another page with a selection from a bar graph.

Instead, I would recommend using slicers on each page, synced together using the "Sync slicers" options.

Capture.PNG2.PNGWhen I click on the blue bar in the first picture then I press the arrow button it takes me to a data table. How would I use sync slicers for this? @ebeery 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.