Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

MarkD1722
Helper I
Helper I

Filter a table and then chart the the table's un-summarized results without that slicer

I am having trouble with a particular visualization intended to chart the values associated with items on certain dates where the set of Items is determined by certain values of an assoicated measure.  That measure (called "Item Activity") is, in part, calculated with a "selected year" using the value from a year slicer.  It determines if the item is "active" in the year selected based on four different conditions.  Then, for the primary matrix which is grouped by "Item", I filter out any rows that don't match "active" and SUMX the values accordingly.  My challenge is now simultaneously displaying those individual values (un-summarized) on their dates in a column chart without the constraint of the Year slicer.  So, let's say that Item A is active in the year selected -- I need the date selection to determine "active", but then I want to chart all the spends associated with that item before, during, and after that selected year.  How would I include only the resulting projects and the diregard the date constraint for the individual values?

If I remove the interaction of the year slicer on the chart, I get values for ALL THE ITEMS (because that year no longer affects the filtering measure).  However, keeping the year slicer interaction on the chart, I only get the values that occur in the year, and nothing else in terms of other projects that should be considered “active” and no spending that is otherwise outside the year.  Also, if I try to let the measure calculate over every date or every specific value, it runs forever, for what I believe is due to the number values in the Value table.

The Item table and the Value tables are related by the Item (1:Many - Item table to Value table).  The Date and Value are in the Value table.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

While the chart displays Date on the x-axis and Value on the y-axis, there is no way to include the Item in the chart.  Therefore, I am assuming I need to work it inside the measure somehow.

1 REPLY 1
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

It's a bit challenging to decipher this request.

Maybe you can try a disconnected date table, put that in the slicer and write your measure to handle it. However, I'm not clear on what you are trying to do.

Measure filters can get complicated too.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.