Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Malone
Regular Visitor

Filter a column into a new column based on text.

Hi power BI wizards,

If I have a column from a table that has been filled with various jumbled inputed data how do I then take the relevant data and filter into new columns based on specified text. 

For instance say the table cells in the column are: "rock", "paper", "scissors", "lets go rock", "paper sucks", "rock always wins", "come on scissors", "I like paper". How do I then going and take that data and turn it into new columns that just say.

Col1:      Col2:       Col3: 

Rock       Paper     Scissors

Rock       Paper     Scissors

Rock       Paper

So basically I can filter based on the term and have the irrelevant date ommitted so I can display in a simple bar graph. 

Appreciate any help 🙂 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Pls check out this code:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("ZU1LCoAgFLzK4LqLdAZxIfII0XziFNLtI2sj7eY/1pqmIRm3WFN9lTYQQyS1cZAsB7Ep5hx4hkQM4XHgc/cX0WN5a0F3gRZMWytyTIL/07fubg==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each Text.Split([Column1], " ")),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom"),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Expanded Custom",{"Custom"},Source,{"Column1"},"Expanded Custom",JoinKind.Inner),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Merged Queries",{"Expanded Custom", "Column1"}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Removed Columns", {"Custom"}, {{"Columns", each _[Custom], type table}}),
    Custom1 = Table.FromColumns(#"Grouped Rows"[Columns])
in
    Custom1

Also check if my addition of "scissors rock" at the end of the sample data deliver what you expect.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Malone
Regular Visitor

No luck?

Hi there I started to have a look, but it becomes rather difficult when all the data is stored within one column.

And then take that data, which can be put into 3 separate columns, but to try and bring them all back into the one line with the 3 columns was a challenge I did not have time to complete yet.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Pls check out this code:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("ZU1LCoAgFLzK4LqLdAZxIfII0XziFNLtI2sj7eY/1pqmIRm3WFN9lTYQQyS1cZAsB7Ep5hx4hkQM4XHgc/cX0WN5a0F3gRZMWytyTIL/07fubg==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each Text.Split([Column1], " ")),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom"),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Expanded Custom",{"Custom"},Source,{"Column1"},"Expanded Custom",JoinKind.Inner),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Merged Queries",{"Expanded Custom", "Column1"}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Removed Columns", {"Custom"}, {{"Columns", each _[Custom], type table}}),
    Custom1 = Table.FromColumns(#"Grouped Rows"[Columns])
in
    Custom1

Also check if my addition of "scissors rock" at the end of the sample data deliver what you expect.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

For your example above what is the format of your source data?

Is it all in one cell?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Apologies should have been more clearer, no it's all in one column of the table as text data. So for instance it would look like this.

Example Column:

rock

paper

scissors

lets go rock

paper sucks

rock always wins

come on scissors

I like paper

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.