Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Field Parameters and Sorting based on measure

Hi, 
I am using Field parameters in a drop down and the chart to change accordingly to the dropdown. The chart is a ranking chart(Clustered bar chart) and I want to sort the chart based on the measure selected from the field parameters in descending order. Every time I choose a different value in dropdown my sort will be reset as it as different measure. Is there a work around for this?. Eg. write a new measure to always sort by the selected measure in descending order and use it in the chart.

PS, I do not want to deviate from field parameters and use another alternatives to change the chart dynamically with the dropdown selection.

6 REPLIES 6
RicoZhou2
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @Anonymous ,

Did you create a dynamic Xaxis which is filtered by slicer? As far as I know, if you sort the visual by column in X aixs, Power BI will change the sort dynamiclly.

Here I create a sample.

RicoZhou2_0-1660121571779.png

Measure:

Measure = 
SWITCH(SELECTEDVALUE('Combine Table'[Category]),
"Region",CALCULATE(SUM(Data[Value]),USERELATIONSHIP(Data[Region],Region[Region])),
"Year",CALCULATE(SUM(Data[Value]),USERELATIONSHIP(Data[Year],'Year'[Year])))

Result is as below.

RicoZhou2_1-1660121585936.png

RicoZhou2_2-1660121600020.png

Best Regards.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @RicoZhou2 ,

My slicer has various measures(field parameters) used in the chart, not the columns and I am the measures for the X-axis of a clustered bar chart. I see that your solution is using column to sort not the measures.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Once I sort it on a measure it always remains in that, even when I change that

amitchandak_2-1659933281904.png

amitchandak_0-1659933233951.png

amitchandak_1-1659933252133.png

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Once I sort it on a measure it always remains in that, even when I change that

amitchandak_2-1659933281904.png

amitchandak_0-1659933233951.png

amitchandak_1-1659933252133.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @amitchandak , 

Not sure what was done wrong in my case, I am unable to sort by the measure. each time I select another measure, the sorting for the Y-axis is being reset.2.png1.pngI found a similar question here, https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Sort-Visual-on-Field-Parameter/m-p/2520955

I have the same issue.

Whenever I select something in the slicer, the sorting is off and I have to set it once again.

Did you find any solution for that?

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.