Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

tc_WII
Frequent Visitor

Fetch matching date value or latest date value

Hello, 

I have a data model with 2 fact tables: SalesData, ItemReceived, date and product table.

I want to create a simple table visual with Date, Average Selling Price (From Sales Data), Cost (From ItemReceived). There is a slicer to select product name.

Issue is with the Cost. Let's say, I have item received on 4/2/2024 and cost is $116. For any dates on or later than 4/2/2024, my cost is $116. Earlier item received was on 1/20/2024 and cost is $90. So, any dates between 1/20/2024 and 4/1/2024 has product cost of $90. This way I will calculate my profit like (ASP - COST)

I used below measure:

LastCostMod =
    CALCULATE(
        LASTNONBLANKVALUE(itemReceived[Date],MAX(itemReceived[Cost])),
        ALL(dimDate),
        itemReceived[Date] <= SELECTEDVALUE(dimDate[Date])
        )

It gives me good result on rows where I have dates. But it does not give me result on total and on Year-Month Tables.

tc_WII_0-1714585622416.png

Another solution could be to add cost on every row of my salesData. But it is not a good idea as I have sales data rows in millions.

How can I make a good measure so that it can also work on Year-Month table and totals?

My data model looks like this:

tc_WII_1-1714585711735.png

Please help. Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@tc_WII I think it should be:

LastCostMod =
    CALCULATE(
        LASTNONBLANKVALUE(dimDate[Date],MAX(itemReceived[Cost])),
       FILTER( 
        ALL(dimDate),
        dimDate[Date] <= MAX(dimDate[Date])
        )
)

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@tc_WII I think it should be:

LastCostMod =
    CALCULATE(
        LASTNONBLANKVALUE(dimDate[Date],MAX(itemReceived[Cost])),
       FILTER( 
        ALL(dimDate),
        dimDate[Date] <= MAX(dimDate[Date])
        )
)

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

This worked for now. Thank you 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.