Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Extracting number from a text field with description then making colum

So I have a feild named descrpition that described spillage incidents....... Each colum in this fieild will have a volume (in liters) of the amount product spilled. I want to create a colum that will seach through each field and find whatever number is befor the word/letters "litre" and have that number in a colum..... The sentance below is of how the description field typically looks looks. "An incident occured whre a truck rolled over and spilled over 1264 litres of fuel ect.." or "A woker tripped and feel on a container resulting in 123litres of fuel being spilled" some times theres a space after the digits sometimes not... Can anyone assist me with this

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous in that case, since I would need some examples of data to test it out, my suggestion to you would be to do the following:
Select your column -> Add Column -> Column from examples (be sure to select the "From selection" option in the drop down menu)

goncalogeraldes_0-1689151389057.png

Fill in some examples (until you see that Power Query starts suggesting values correctly) and name your new column. 

goncalogeraldes_1-1689151561084.png

Another possibility is to manually add a step in the query with following code:

= Table.AddColumn(PreviousStepName, "Extracted Numbers", each Text.BetweenDelimiters([Column_with_text_string], "", "liters"), type number)

Hope this answer solves your problem!
If you need any additional help please @ me in your reply.
If my reply provided you with a solution, please consider marking it as a solution ✔️ or giving it a kudoe 👍
Thanks!

You can also check out my LinkedIn!

Best regards,
Gonçalo Geraldes

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
goncalogeraldes
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous , assuming that the only numbers present in the string are those you mentioned, you can do the following:

Go to "Add Column" -> "Custom Column" -> Paste a code similar to (replace with your column name)

Text.Select( [Sentence], {"0".."9"} )

goncalogeraldes_0-1689075337919.png

If my reply provided you with a solution, please consider marking it as a solution ✔️ or giving it a kudoe 👍
Thanks!

Best regards,
Gonçalo Geraldes

Anonymous
Not applicable

The issue I only want digits that are before the words(text) "litres".... Since the sentance containce other didgits, can you assist me with that..

@Anonymous in that case, since I would need some examples of data to test it out, my suggestion to you would be to do the following:
Select your column -> Add Column -> Column from examples (be sure to select the "From selection" option in the drop down menu)

goncalogeraldes_0-1689151389057.png

Fill in some examples (until you see that Power Query starts suggesting values correctly) and name your new column. 

goncalogeraldes_1-1689151561084.png

Another possibility is to manually add a step in the query with following code:

= Table.AddColumn(PreviousStepName, "Extracted Numbers", each Text.BetweenDelimiters([Column_with_text_string], "", "liters"), type number)

Thanks!

Best regards,
Gonçalo Geraldes

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.