Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jwhitf4770
Helper I
Helper I

Extract Date into a seperate column

I have a column of names followed by dates and there is not standardization so I can't split on a delimter.  When I was a .NET programmer I would turn the string into an array, cycle one by one,  test if its a number,  if yes keep track of that and then do a split on the index.  Is there a way to do that in Power BI and DAX or Power Query

example data:

Joe Brown - 1/22/2016

kelly.conway@mail.com 2019-02-13T16:51:03

These are the two different formats,  I am open to any and all suggestions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You could also do this in PowerQuery by using the Add Custom Column option using the following to split on the first location of a digit. The first expression will get everything after the first digit, the second one gets everything before the first digit. (of course this will do strange things if people have a digit in their email address...)

Text.Range([Column1], Text.PositionOfAny([Column1], {"0".."9"}))

Text.Range([Column1],0, Text.PositionOfAny([Column1], {"0".."9"}))

Below is a full query that you can paste into a blank query to see it working:

2020-05 split on digit.png

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8spPVXAqyi/PU9BVMNQ3MtI3MjA0U4rViVbKTs3JqdRLzs8rT6x0yE3MzAGycxWA0pa6Bka6hsYhhmZWpoZWBsZKsbEA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each Text.PositionOfAny([Column1], {"0".."9"})),
    Custom1 = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Date", each Text.Range([Column1], Text.PositionOfAny([Column1], {"0".."9"}))),
    Custom2 = Table.AddColumn(#"Custom1", "Name", each Text.Range([Column1],0, Text.PositionOfAny([Column1], {"0".."9"})))
in
    Custom2

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

You could also use Text.Select( ) as follows -

Text Custom Column formula - Text.Select([Column1],{"A".."Z","a".."z",".","@"," "})

Date Custom Column formula - Text.Select([Column1], {"0".."9","/","-","T"})

For Date one, you can then just extract text before the delimiter "T". Some minor clean up after that needed, and then convert to Date.

If this works for you, please mark it as solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

@mahoneypat wrote:

You could also use Text.Select( ) as follows -

Text Custom Column formula - Text.Select([Column1],{"A".."Z","a".."z",".","@"," "})

Date Custom Column formula - Text.Select([Column1], {"0".."9","/","-","T"})

Yeah, I initially thought of using Text.Select(), but the issue with the examples is that the first example would then include a leading "-" character. And if the name also had a capital "T" in it you would get that captured by the date pattern also... It's tricky with such variation in the data and with a limited set of examples.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@jwhitf4770 - I have developed a way to do what you are describing. The general technique is used in BIN2DEC as well as ARABIC quick measures.

Basically:

Column =
  VAR __Table = 
    ADDCOLUMNS(
      GENERATESERIES(1,LEN([OtherColumn]),1),
      "__Char",MID([OtherColumn],[Value],1)
    )
RETURN
  <some operation over __Table>

You can add another ADDCOLUMNS around that to do your test for text or numeric. This can get tricky since ISERROR and IFERROR do not catch type comparisons, which is annoying.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

You could also do this in PowerQuery by using the Add Custom Column option using the following to split on the first location of a digit. The first expression will get everything after the first digit, the second one gets everything before the first digit. (of course this will do strange things if people have a digit in their email address...)

Text.Range([Column1], Text.PositionOfAny([Column1], {"0".."9"}))

Text.Range([Column1],0, Text.PositionOfAny([Column1], {"0".."9"}))

Below is a full query that you can paste into a blank query to see it working:

2020-05 split on digit.png

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8spPVXAqyi/PU9BVMNQ3MtI3MjA0U4rViVbKTs3JqdRLzs8rT6x0yE3MzAGycxWA0pa6Bka6hsYhhmZWpoZWBsZKsbEA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each Text.PositionOfAny([Column1], {"0".."9"})),
    Custom1 = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Date", each Text.Range([Column1], Text.PositionOfAny([Column1], {"0".."9"}))),
    Custom2 = Table.AddColumn(#"Custom1", "Name", each Text.Range([Column1],0, Text.PositionOfAny([Column1], {"0".."9"})))
in
    Custom2

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.