Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MF_Wong
Regular Visitor

Export Data fails when connected to SSAS live

I have been using Power BI Desktop to have SSAS live connection. It is such a great experience as the speed of getting data is really high and I can use that as a way to "Export Data" up to 30,000 rows.

However, when I recently updated the Power BI Desktop (Nov, Dec, and Jan version as well), I've found that the "Export Data" function does not work any more (when connected to SSAS live).  I am sure it worked before even though there was a 30,000 rows limitation.  Most of the time, 30,000 rows are more than enough for me. 

With the recent versions, every time I tried to "Export Data", the warning messages "You data is too big... exceed limits" (sorry don't remember the exact wordings) appeared even when my table contained only a few hundred rows.  Even I decided to continue to see the output in csv. file, NOTHING but a strange symbol appears.

Is that a bug?  or Is "Export Data" no longer supported when connecting to SSAS?  Kindly advise.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @MF_Wong,

According to this article, there is currently a limitation that export using Underlying data will not work if the data source is an Analysis Services live connection and the version is older than 2016 and the tables in the model do not have a unique key. Smiley Happy

Regards

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @MF_Wong,

According to this article, there is currently a limitation that export using Underlying data will not work if the data source is an Analysis Services live connection and the version is older than 2016 and the tables in the model do not have a unique key. Smiley Happy

Regards

Hi All,

Seems that this function is coming back in latest version of Poewr BI Desktop.  Yeah!!!

kevhav
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

We may have just encountered this same issue.

I'm not using the SSAS live connection; but I am using the "Power BI service" live connection, which I understand uses similar technology.

This happens only when we (myself and other users in my organization)  export data from one particular Matrix visualization. The result set is quite small, but still, Power BI Desktop give the warning like "data size is too large; some sampling may occur." When I open the resulting .CSV file in Excel, only cell A1 has contents, and the contents are...

... @MF_Wong, is this what you mean when you say "a strange symbol appears?" (The resulting .CSV file is blank, when I open it in Notepad.)

I've published this report to the Power BI service, and we are also unable to "Export Data" from the service. When we try, the dialog appears and spins for ~1 minute, but then it disappears and nothing happens (no file is downloaded). 

Most reports/visualizations are unaffected. But with this one visualization where we are experiencing the issue, it might be a problem with a particular measure. If I remove this one measure from the Matrix visualization, then "Export Data" works as expected.

Or, interestingly, if I change the visualization type from Matrix to Table...even with that measure still included...then again, "Export Data" works as expected.

So, for me, I only experience this issue when I am using a Matrix-type visualization that has this one particular measure. Very weird.

... @MF_Wong, is this what you mean when you say "a strange symbol appears?" (The resulting .CSV file is blank, when I open it in Notepad.)

@kevhavYes.  That's excatly what happened in my case.  Thanks for your detailed description.

Im my case, no matter it is a visual, a matrix, or a table... Export data doesn't work.  😞

If the export from table works fine, then Please check the ssas server properties ... DefaultDrillthroughMaxRows ... default is 10000 ... I believe that the matrix, when u export uses this setting. change to 100K (and restart SSAS) then you can export and see whether it works.

If the export from table does not work fine, ignore this approach.

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.