Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

StuartSmith
Power Participant
Power Participant

Expandable\Shrink Table Row

Another day, another question. I have a table that for the first colunm contains project id's, of which might be 1 row or multiple row.  I would to group all the rows with the same code together and have something similar to the below, where if a code has multiple row , you can expand\compress the rows.  I have tried the matrix tool, but it either doesnt do what I want it to do or cant.

Any other ways to achieve the below or similar?

1.png

2.png

6 REPLIES 6
edhans
Super User
Super User

@StuartSmith if the matrix visual is the solution that works for you from @VijayP that is great. If not, can you provide us with some data to work with?

How to get good help fast. Help us help you.
How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly
How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
VijayP
Super User
Super User

@StuartSmith 

Use Matrix to get this effect!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

But I can only get the matrix to drill down ever item, but I only want it to drill down once.

2020-09-18_16-32-55.png2020-09-18_16-36-55.png

Hope that makes sense.

@StuartSmith 

To get the effect where you shown a Gree Tick . After creating Matrix goto matrix properties and goto Row headers and Switch off the Stepped layout so that you will get your requird view

As shown in pic before and after

2020-09-18_211607.png

MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

@StuartSmith 

Once you set up Matrix  you can set up bookmark to get the effect permanent and dynamic as well. 

Apart from Matrix I donot see any other such option to expand or collapse data

@edhans  What is your suggestion!

@StuartSmith ,

By default, in a Matrix Stepped Layout is on. That may not be waht you want. You can turn it off in the formatting pane for the visual.

edhans_0-1600444137115.png

You can also drill down in all fields one level in one click all the way with the single-to-double-down-arrow button.

edhans_1-1600444317053.png

In the visual header section of the formatting pane for the visual, make sure Expand to Next Level is on. You can turn the others off. You will not see this in the desktop though, but on the service, the other drill down buttons will be removed.

edhans_2-1600444360412.png

Or, the bookmark suggestion by @VijayP will also work. Additionally, if you drill down in your desktop and publish, that is what the users will see, so they will not need to drill down.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.