Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AZJohnPowerBI
Helper I
Helper I

Excel versus Power BI

Should I clean and model the data in Excel or keep it as a flat file and do everything in Advanced Query Editor in Power BI?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
_AAndrade
Super User
Super User

Hi @AZJohnPowerBI,

Best practice says that we should make our data transformations as close to the source as possible, but It could depends the data trnaformations that you preformed and how you will schedule the refresh of this excel file.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are welcome.

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
bhanu_gautam
Super User
Super User

@AZJohnPowerBI , It depends on your use if it is one time use case you can do in excel also, but if you need to make changes dynamic than you should use Power Query so that if any change in data in case it is increased changes will get captured in Power Query

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

_AAndrade
Super User
Super User

Hi @AZJohnPowerBI,

Best practice says that we should make our data transformations as close to the source as possible, but It could depends the data trnaformations that you preformed and how you will schedule the refresh of this excel file.

Hi @AZJohnPowerBI,

Did it solve your problem?
Did my message help you in any way? If it did, please mark my message as the solution and give it a "kudo", I'll appreciate it and help me out

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.