Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Matteus2018
Regular Visitor

Excel on Local Drive - Refresh in Desktop NOT Service

I have been searching for an answer to this for a couple of weeks before posting here but apologies if I have missed something obvious. 

I have 4 Excel workbooks with data which I have imported to PBI Desktop and cleaned up then joined. The records that don't join have been examined and some data corrected to ensure they join correctly.

Some of these data in certain workbooks now have less non-joining records - in other words the source data seems to have been refreshed correctly in PBI having been corrected in Excel. However, other workbooks (same version of Excel) do not refresh and show corrections in the form of less unmatched records. 

Clicking the Refresh button in PBI Desktop Query Editor doesn't seem to make any difference to these and I can't find a 'hard' refresh process that will start the data queries from source and scoop in the corrected data.

I am not using PBI Gateways or Cloud or OneDrive.

What am I doing wrong? 

4 REPLIES 4
Matteus2018
Regular Visitor

I have been searching for an answer to this for a couple of weeks before posting here but apologies if I have missed something obvious. 

I have 4 Excel workbooks with data which I have imported to PBI Desktop and cleaned up then joined. The records that don't join have been examined and some data corrected to ensure they join correctly.

Some of these data in certain workbooks now have less non-joining records - in other words the source data seems to have been refreshed correctly in PBI having been corrected in Excel. However, other workbooks (same version of Excel) do not refresh and show corrections in the form of less unmatched records. 

Clicking the Refresh button in PBI Desktop Query Editor doesn't seem to make any difference to these and I can't find a 'hard' refresh process that will start the data queries from source and scoop in the corrected data.

I am not using PBI Gateways or Cloud or OneDrive.

What am I doing wrong? 

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Matteus2018,

Do you mean that Excel data doesn't refresh corretcly in Power BI Desktop? Do you use Power BI Desktop August version

Please share Excel file to me so that I can test, and post screenshots about the unmatched records.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, yes I am using the August version of PBI Desktop.

I believe the data loaded in from Excel shouldn't refresh if I make corrections to it. Having searched a lot online it seems that once the data is loaded into a model it cannot be changed even if the original source file is changed. This seems unlikely given that database connections would need to refresh regularly.

I can't send the Ecel workbooks unfortunately. Maybe I could try converting them to CSV files and seeing if that helps. I will update here if it does or I find another solution.

@Matteus2018,

Do you connect to other external data source in Excel and then connect to excel in Power BI Desktop? Could you please describe more details about the option you use in Excel so that we can test?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.