Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Evolution of aging receivables

Dear all,

Based on my dataset, I'm trying to show a graph showing the evolution of aging receivables. I have found several topics in the community related to this subject, but none of them giving me the solution I need (unless I missed a post).

My aim: A graph.

The X-axis should be all dates from 1 Jan 2017 till today grouped per month. The Y-axis should be the amount of open debt.

The graph should show several lines, one for each type of overdue. One line should indicate the amount of debt NOT overdue for all dates on the X-axis. Other lines should refer to buckets: 1 - 30 days overdue, 31 - 60 days overdue, 61 - 90 days overdue and 90+ days overdue.

I can't share my data source as it's confidential data but I'll add a draft table instead to show you the data I have to start from. 

If Payment Date is blank, that means that the payment hasn't occurred yet.

Invoice numberInvoice DateDue datePayment DateAmount
aaa05/01/201731/01/201702/02/2017100
bbb06/06/201830/06/201805/08/2018200
ccc09/04/201930/04/201911/08/2019150
ddd29/09/202015/10/2020 50

In my graph, invoice aaa should not show as overdue before 31 Jan 2017, but should show as overdue as from 1 Feburary 2017. 

Invoice ccc should show +90 days overdue as from 1 August 2019, etc.

Can someone please help me?

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous ,Based on what I got

You have created overdue days as a measure

example

Over due Day = datediff([Due date],[Payment Date],day)

And create an independent table of the bucket and create a measure to count based on this bucket

You can my Video on a similar topic how to do that:https://youtu.be/CuczXPj0N-k

Please check

https://www.daxpatterns.com/dynamic-segmentation/
https://radacad.com/grouping-and-binning-step-towards-better-data-visualization

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear @amitchandak,

Currently, I haven't found a good working measure yet as the critical data in my graph is the evolution of bad debt over time. Unfortunately, your video is missing this key nuance that I need for my data so I'm looking for help how to best set up this model and which measures to use exactly based on the table examples that I provided.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Hi @Anonymous ,

I'm a little confused that how it shows like in gragh. I created a sample like below, it returns the same amount for the whole dates. You could modify it by yourself or please share mode details with me. 

• A new date table
Date = CALENDAR(DATE(2017,1,1),TODAY())
  • Measures:
Count overdue day = 
var paymentdate = MAX('Table'[Payment Date])
return
DATEDIFF(MAX('Table'[Due date]),DATE(YEAR(paymentdate),MONTH(paymentdate),1),DAY)
NOT overdue = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Amount]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Due date] >= TODAY()))
1 - 30 days overdue = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Amount]),FILTER(ALL('Date'),[Count overdue day]>0 && [Count overdue day]<=30 ))

Others are same as "1 - 30 days overdue" measure. Please download the pbix to check it.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear @v-xuding-msft ,

Thank you for your response!

However, this static line is not what I'm looking for.

I'm not sure how to add pictures to the message, and I can't share my model due to confidentiality reasons, but I'll do my best explaining what the graph needs to look like.

The X-axis should have all dates from the date table.

The Y-axis should show the amount overdue at those dates.

I'll explain what the graph needs to look like for 1 - 30 days overdue.

At 1 Jan 2017, amount overdue is 0 as no amount is overdue at that point.

At 1 Feb 2017, 100 is overdue as the invoice of 5 January 2017 got overdue at this point.

At 1 July 2018, 200 should show overdue as the invoice of 6 June 2018 got overdue. The invoice of 5 January 2017 should no longer be counted as this one got paid in the meanwhile.

Etc.

Does this help?

Thank you!

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sorry for late back.  I use a Gantt chart to implement your requirement. Hope I understand correctly this time .

• Create calculated columns
Duration = 
var first_day = IF(ISBLANK('Table'[Payment Date]),BLANK(),DATE(YEAR('Table'[Payment Date]),MONTH('Table'[Payment Date]),1))
return
DATEDIFF('Table'[Due date],first_day,DAY)
Resource = 
SWITCH(TRUE(),
'Table'[Payment Date] = BLANK(),"not overdue",
'Table'[Duration]<=30, "1 - 30 days overdue",
'Table'[Duration]<=60, "31 - 60 days overdue",
'Table'[Duration]<=90, "61 - 90 days overdue",
'Table'[Duration]>90,  " 90 days overdue"
)

1.gif 

For more details about Gantt chart, you could reference this blog:

Visual Awesomeness Unlocked – Gantt chart 

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.