Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vanessainacio

Error "Couldn't retrieve the data for this visual. Please try again later."

Hi all,

I have a problem with a Power BI file which is only getting information from a folder containing Excel sheets on a local computer (no network, no cloud).

The report has all the visuals with the error ""Couldn't retrieve the data for this visual. Please try again later.""

In the details of the error I have the following error code and message:

Error Code:
OpenConnectionError

OData Error Message:
Failed to open the MSOLAP connection.

Kindly could some help me?

5 REPLIES 5
vanessainacio

I have now installed Power BI on another computer and the PBI file works without a glitch. The only difference between the machines is that mine and the most recent computers have a 64 bit operating system while the machine where the visualizations on the PBI file are not working is a 32 bit operating system. Anyone knows how to convert a PBI file created on a 64 bit into a PBI file which will work on a 32 bit Power BI desktop?

Hi @vanessainacio,

Have you resolved your problem now? If yes, would you please share your solution?

As I know, it is not available to open a 32-bit .pbix file in 64-bit desktop, the opposite as well. 

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Yuliana,

The solution was to replace the computer for one that has 64-bit operating system. Thus, I found no real solution (as I regard replacing computers as something not feasible in most situations).

Regards,

Vanessa Inácio

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

are you sure your source data is available?  ie can you access it any other way to make sure its online?  i.e does the excel pull from somewhere else?  MSOLAP sounds like its pulling from a cube, or alternatively it could be a pivot im not sure.  How is the data stored in the excel?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Thank you for your reply. This is a file I copied to another computer. The original file had the excel sheets in a shared folder in Sharepoint. The excel sheets are very basic, they are 15 with betweent 7,000 to 15,000 rows each, no formatting (thus no cube or pivot table).

Before I copied the PBI file and respective folder with the excel sheets I passed it to a usb flash memory where I changed the initial source steps to collect the information from the folder in the usb flash memory. I refreshed the query previews and the report without any issue.

I then transfered the PBI file and respective folder to the new computer where I updated the "data source settings" for the new location of the folder in the new computer. Again I refreshed the queries previews and then the report.

On the new computer, the tables appear with all the data on the "Data" tab below the "Report" tab as expected. It is just the vizualizations that are not working and give the above mentioned error. I tried creating new vizualizations but the same error occurs.

Thus I don't understand where the MSOLAP connection is appearing from.

I did not use the template option to transfer to the new computer as I am not sure how that works.

Thanks for your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.