Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Error in Series label in line graph

Good morning community, how are you?

I have a rare problem with the data labels of a line graph, but it also has a problem with the charting of areas and stacked areas. The label of the first value of the Y Axis always appears (??!). If I modify that first data of the Y axis, the label that always appears accompanies.

Case:

I have a measurement filter to be able to filter the lines in my chart

Filter:

Davoo0o_2-1651759432791.png

Label display settings

Davoo0o_4-1651760671987.png

Filter display:

Davoo0o_1-1651759278156.png

Chart display

Davoo0o_0-1651759094597.png

Can you tell me if it is a mistake or if there are any additional settings that I am passing?

Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
Clinical_Epi
Advocate III
Advocate III

Hello - I have the same problem, in my mind it's quite simple: I have a line chart and I'm using the series label as the legend is static and not helping my end users establish what they need to know, the problem is the first measure put in the "Values" for the line chart always shows its ugly head... even when the first measure is filtered out.

I do not believe this is a fault of the developer making the power bi dashboard - but is a problem in the programming of Power Bi itself.... I've seen this particular problem so many times in the last 2 years when developing charts for the major Hosptial I work in that I wish Microsoft would fix the problem eventually (hence my being back looking for a solution a year later after the first time I saw this pop its head..)

In my case I cant use a legend due to it being static and the amount of lines I'm running in the dashboard as we are looking at  HAC's (Hospital Acquired Complications), and so I would like to use the "Series label" feature as is brilliant for allowing my end users to see the highest value for the period. It's really going well and I've made it so that they can drill down into the sub-hac's.. (so 30+ lines total)... but... the first meast measure is always there no matter how its filtered.!...

To help us look into this problem I've created a simple way of looking at it:

1) Here is some data for you to enter into a fresh power bi dashboard:

PlacePeopleCategoryAmount
ABCLast15
DEFFirst245
DEFLast276
ABCFirst234
DEFLast132

2) Once the above table is loaded into Power Bi create 2 measures:

Measure 1 = 

Count of First = CALCULATE([Sum of Amount],FILTER('Table','Table'[People]="First"))
    Measure 2 = 
    Count of Last = CALCULATE([Sum of Amount],FILTER('Table','Table'[People]="Last"))
3) Use the "Place" column as the Axis in a new Line Chart
4) For the line chart use the 2 measures above, add "Count of First" and then "Count of Last" into the 'values' for 
    the line chart.
5) Add a slicer to filter the chart - using the column "People"...
6) Turn on "Series label" (found in format - visualizations area) 

Problem: you will notice when using the slicer to filter for "Last" people = the "Count of First" always shows in the right hand "Series Label" area... as was the first measure added to the line chart..... 
pic1.png

Is there a way to resolve this ?

As I mention at the start of this post I have a dashboard with around 30+ measures, it's a complex dashboard I've been developing with heads of Units and Clinicians for 3 weeks now, it's at the final stage and now this little niggling problem won't go away!!! so frustrating!
We turn on/off lines for our reporting needs so it would be nice not to see the very first series name appear on each change...
Please keep in mind we dont want to see a static legend.... as depending on selection(s), maybe I choose 5 different lines and want to only see the lines for them - and as there are 32 lines potentially making it difficult to change colours to match a legend... etc...

Good luck and hope to hear from someone who knows this and has a good solution.

Thanks for the contribution, the truth is that I remade the graphic so many times trying to show the labels correctly that I already gave it for lost. As you point out, I'm not using this feature either, as it displays unselected data.

As an additional fact, if I open the chart in focus mode, the unselected measure has a value of 0.

Davoo0o_0-1655835142018.png

I calculate that this is why it is shown in the graph.

Thanks again.

Best regards

Many thanks,

I never did add in my solution to this ongoing problem - it works every time for me so that I now use this for very specific data we use in health. I will add a screen shot which although not helpful, shows in my case that the first measure "." doesn't show if its at top or bottom. I also use a slider at left due to complexity of graph.

Example of solutionExample of solution

Solution:

What I do is create a dummy measure that is always higher than any other measure being used (I use counts and rates mostly - but rates per 100, 1,000 and 10,000 inpatients.

Then I make sure its always the first measure add to the graph values, I make the background of the chart and that individual measure the same colour. What I do notice though that instead of it always sitting at the bottom it goes to the top as is always highest.

The name of the dummy measure I use is:   .

I love that I can add a single 'period' (or two) as a measure name, and change its colour, so handy whilst things aren't 99% "perfect".

Many thanks for your reply btw, much appreciated.

Kind regards

Andy from Clin Epi

Great workarround, works perfectly. Only in my case, according to the value of the measurements, I leave that new series at 0 and it is ready.

Thank you!

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Davoo0o ,

Sorry, not very clear.

What does ’The label of the first value of the Y Axis always appears (??!). ‘ mean?

Does it mean that the fields you marked with yellow always appear? Can't remove fields?

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi I've updated this thread/post for Series Label problem - I've expanded on the issue and provided data and examples of how its not working if you would like to have a go at seeing if you can find a solution?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.