Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

AnjanaG
Regular Visitor

Error: Unrecognized fields in visual in powerBI

Hi,

I tried connecting to a Multi-dimensional cube in PowerBI Desktop using Live Connection. I was able to create reports in PowerBI desktop and published the report successfully. When I tried to open the report in powerBI, I get the below error on visuals. This doesn't happen if I select any attributes from Dimension and the error occurs only if i use the Measures in the visual.

The Visual has unrecognized fields.

(We are not able to identify the following fields: XXXX. Please update the visual with fields that exist in the dataset.)

I can't think of anything going wrong in the cube itself as I could connect to the cube and create report through xl sheet, SSMS and even PowerBI Desktop. If it was to do with the enterprise gateway, I should have got an error even with the dimensions which was not the case. Was wondering if there is any latency in loading the model after publishing. So I left even few hrs and it was the same again.

Can you please help as this is happening randomly on some of the datasets.

Regards,

Anjana

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AnjanaG
Regular Visitor

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delayed response. We finally figured out the problem here.

If you have multiple cubes in one database and have some common dimension/s across the cubes, powerBI doesn’t connect back to the correct cube.

For e.g., in the screenshot, I have a database (Database_A) and 3 cubes. All 3 cubes have date dimension. While adding a datasource to the enterprise gateway, it asks to enter only the database name and not the cube to which we would like to connect. I published a powerBI dataset for Cube2 and when I use the date & a measure in a report, PowerBI doesn’t understand the cube to which I’m connecting and it reads some other Cube (say Cube1 or Cube3). The error was since Cube1/Cube3 doesn’t have the measure that I have used in my report. This is the reason why it works sometime as it might get the correct cube being used sometimes and doesn’t most of the time.

screenshot.png

To me it’s more a powerBI issue as it doesn't reslove back to the correct cube.

Regards,

Anjana

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AnjanaG
Regular Visitor

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delayed response. We finally figured out the problem here.

If you have multiple cubes in one database and have some common dimension/s across the cubes, powerBI doesn’t connect back to the correct cube.

For e.g., in the screenshot, I have a database (Database_A) and 3 cubes. All 3 cubes have date dimension. While adding a datasource to the enterprise gateway, it asks to enter only the database name and not the cube to which we would like to connect. I published a powerBI dataset for Cube2 and when I use the date & a measure in a report, PowerBI doesn’t understand the cube to which I’m connecting and it reads some other Cube (say Cube1 or Cube3). The error was since Cube1/Cube3 doesn’t have the measure that I have used in my report. This is the reason why it works sometime as it might get the correct cube being used sometimes and doesn’t most of the time.

screenshot.png

To me it’s more a powerBI issue as it doesn't reslove back to the correct cube.

Regards,

Anjana

MennovL

I experience the same error. I have removed the dataset and report and re-published. It did not help.

Then I have removed the source from the gateway and re-connected the source. This also did not solve the problem.

The same dimension with the field that could not be recognised is used in another SSAS model that gives no problems.

The tests in Excel, browse cube in management studio, testing in excel, etc...all tests are positive except in PowerBI online.

To be sure I redeployed the model and gave a full process to.

Who has suggestions?

HarrisMalik
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@AnjanaG remove your report and dataset from Power BI service and deploy it again from PBI Desktop.

Regards

Harris

Hi Harris,

I have tried this but without success. Do you have extra suggestions?

Best regards,

Menno

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.